Bug 10803

Summary: Buffer mixups in file name creation
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: csquare
Component: initscriptsAssignee: Bill Nottingham <notting>
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME QA Contact:
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 6.1CC: csquare, eedmoba, rvokal
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i386   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2000-04-28 12:09:00 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description csquare 2000-04-13 20:57:14 UTC
I was trying to track which scripts were getting run to track a problem. I
inserted an echo into rc.sysinit so I could see on the terminal when and if
a script was run.  I put in something like echo "in_2_sysinit".  A few
boots later I set smbd to run with the level editor in the control panel.
Smbd did not run so I checked rc.d to see what was setup.  A link should
have been made named K35smb in rc3.d.  The file that was there was
Kin_2_sysinit35smb.  The echo got inserted into the filename created for
the link.  The same thing happened for the file 91 something and also in
K35smb in rc5.d.

Comment 1 Moritz Barsnick 2000-04-28 12:09:59 UTC
Debug should always be echoed to stderr, IMHO.

(echo "in_2_sysinit" 1>&2)

Still, it must be a bug.

Comment 2 Bill Nottingham 2001-01-30 00:57:01 UTC
I could never reproduce this here.