Bug 54638

Summary: "charset=utf-8" causes Netscape 4.78 to hang when attempting to select component by typing it
Product: [Community] Bugzilla Reporter: Jonathan Kamens <jik>
Component: Bugzilla GeneralAssignee: David Lawrence <dkl>
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE QA Contact: David Lawrence <dkl>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: high    
Version: 2.8   
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i386   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-10-18 09:22:27 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Jonathan Kamens 2001-10-15 00:40:56 UTC
I have netscape-communicator-4.78-2, glibc-2.2.4-19, XFree86-libs-4.1.0-3,
and libstdc++-compat-2.96-24; I doubt most of these are relevant, but I
mention them for completeness.

If I launch netscape, go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/query.cgi,
click on any of the items in the "Component" selection box, and type "b"
because I want to scroll to the components that start with that letter,
Netscape hangs and consumes just about all the CPU it can.

I've found that if I save the source for query.cgi into an HTML file and
remove "; charset=utf8" from the meta line near the top, the problem goes
away.

I suppose the bug here is probably in Netscape 4.78 rather than in
bugzilla, but considering how widespread Netsacpe 4.78 is on Linux, I
really think you need to make bugzilla work with it.

Since I don't see any non-ASCII characters on this page, I see no reason
why you can't just remove the charset setting.

By the way, is there any way for random users like me to examine the change
history of the bugzilla that RedHat uses, e.g., is there a CVS repository
somewhere I can look at? Such a thing would have assisted me in isolating
this bug to provide a useful bug report.

Comment 1 Jonathan Kamens 2001-10-17 10:13:58 UTC
jwright@penguincomputing.com says this happens for him as well.  Since I'm not
the only one with this problem, it strikes me as  pretty serious, so I've raised
its priority.


Comment 2 David Lawrence 2001-10-17 14:05:39 UTC
Sorry for the delay in looking at this issue. I have commented out the offending
line in my header html source. Please post back here stating whether this fixes
the problem for you.


Comment 3 Jonathan Kamens 2001-10-18 01:54:21 UTC
Commenting out the meta tag with the charset setting does not appear to be
sufficient, at least not the wa you've commented it out.  It still hangs for me
when I do what I described in my initial bug report.  If I save the HTML source
output by query.cgi into a file and view the file and perform the same
operation, it hangs again.  But if I then go into that file and completely
delete the commented-out meta tag line, it stops hanging.


Comment 4 David Lawrence 2001-10-18 04:24:18 UTC
I removed the line completely. Let me know if this works better now.

Comment 5 Jonathan Kamens 2001-10-18 09:22:22 UTC
Yup, now it works just fine.


Comment 6 Aleksey Nogin 2002-11-13 12:16:17 UTC
Marking closed per "comment by jik@kamens.brookline.ma.us on 2001-10-18 05:22:22"