Bug 600937

Summary: Yum times out when contacting servers.
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: fedora-bugzilla
Component: yumAssignee: Seth Vidal <skvidal>
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: low    
Version: 13CC: ffesti, james.antill, maxamillion, pmatilai, tla
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-06-23 12:06:19 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description fedora-bugzilla 2010-06-06 18:38:16 UTC
Description of problem: 
Since doing a yum update a few days ago i can no longer use yum to update/install software.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
Fully update system

Steps to Reproduce:
1. update system
2. try running yum update
3. wait for time outs
Actual results: 
yum times out when contacting any websites

Expected results: 
Yum to work like it used to.

Additional info:

I suspected this was related to a recent curl/libcurl update so i originally posted to this bug report. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/process_bug.cgi 

Basicly the updated curl was causing yum to timeout when trying to contract mirror servers for update/package info. Upgrading to the "testing" curl posted there did NOT fix the issue...but downgrading the curl version to a older version DID work...but each time i use yum now it wants to update curl... so today i updated everything and yum is broken again. So as of right now i can not maintain packages through yum.

The error i get when using yum is:
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

If i manually try to goto the link( https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-13&arch=x86_64 ) i can and it prompts me to download the xml file with the list of mirrors in it. I can also use wget to download the xml file fine....but if i goto use urlgrabber with the same url..it times out.

Im using ipv4 and ipv6(via hurricane electric)

On that other bug report someone suggested i include a few files....it seems i can only attache one file with this original post so im gonna attach the nsswitch.conf file and just put the resolve.conf in here since its short.

# Generated by NetworkManager

I dont have a /etc/gai.conf

Comment 1 Carl G. 2010-06-18 18:52:17 UTC
*** Bug 600939 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 2 Carl G. 2010-06-18 18:52:23 UTC
*** Bug 600938 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 3 seth vidal 2010-06-23 12:06:19 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 600941 ***