Bug 145866

Summary: disappearing devices
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Phill O'Flynn <phill>
Component: udevAssignee: Harald Hoyer <harald>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 3   
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i686   
OS: Linux   
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-02-21 14:08:01 EST Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Phill O'Flynn 2005-01-22 16:02:01 EST
Description of problem:

Earlier i reported that my winmodem would install correctly but on 
reboot the /dev/modem and /dev/ttyLTO files would disappear on 
reboot. i was told that this was a udev issue and was not a bug. 
however, i tried numerouus times to create a rule (following the 
instructions as best i could). the result is that udev would create 
an empty document for each of /dev/modem and /dev/ttyLTO.

for your information here are the rules i tried

Further, to end my frustrations, i purchased 

KERNEL="ttLTM0", SYSFS{dev}="62:64", NAME="modem", SYMLINK="modem"
KERNEL="ttyLT0", SYMLINK="modem"
KERNEL="ttLTM0", NAME="modem", SYMLINK="modem"
KERNEL="ttyLT0", NAME="modem", SYMLINK="modem"

only after i use the "Modprobe lt_serial" command i could use 
udevinfo command to get information about my hardware eg

udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/tty/ttLTM0

               looking at class device '/sys/class/tty/ttLTM0':

Despite all this the character device and symbolic link are not 

Finally, i purchased a dlink dfm-562e external modem. Which kudzu 
correctly detected and installed (so it would seem). /dev/modem1 is 
generated but again on subsequent reboots the character device 
drivers are no longer present.

surely this must be a bug if kudzu installs a device but the system 
looses it after reboot.

Sorry for the long entry here. i just wanted to make it as clear as 
possible what the problem was

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
not sure how to find out but "up2date" is not reporting any updates 

How reproducible: Consistent

Steps to Reproduce:
Actual results:

Expected results:

Additional info:
Comment 1 Harald Hoyer 2005-01-24 06:14:52 EST

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 145867 ***
Comment 2 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-02-21 14:08:01 EST
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.