Bug 1976795

Summary: Bluetooth audio devices all fail on Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 7th Gen
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Alberto Lusiani <alusiani>
Component: bluezAssignee: Don Zickus <dzickus>
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: unspecified    
Version: 34CC: bnocera, dwmw2, dzickus, fweimer, glesage, pasik, pbrobinson, rktspm, spacewar
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: x86_64   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2021-07-26 23:04:34 UTC Type: Bug
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: --- Target Upstream Version:
Attachments:
Description Flags
relevant system info and messsages about bluetoothd crashes and errors none

Description Alberto Lusiani 2021-06-28 09:34:15 UTC
Created attachment 1795333 [details]
relevant system info and messsages about bluetoothd crashes and errors

Description of problem:

bluetoothd crashes when pairing or connecting all bluetooth audio devices on Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 7th Gen

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

5.59-1.fc34

How reproducible:

Always

Steps to Reproduce:

1. in KDE Plasma (but I expect in any context) pair a BT audio device (speaker, headphones)

or else

1. in KDE Plasma (but I expect in any context) pair a BT audio device (speaker, headphones)
2. in KDE Plasma connect to a bt audio device (speaker, headphones)

Actual results:

an error messate appears on Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 7th Gen when pairing

a "connected" message appears, immediately followed by a "disconnected" message 

Expected results:

a successfull pairing (as with other PC like Dell XPS 13 9370)
or a successful connection (as with other PC like Dell XPS 13 9370)

Additional info:

On Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 7th Gen, all audio BT devices I tried fail.

I attach a text file with some relevant messages from journalctl

Comment 1 Garrett LeSage 2021-06-29 09:11:26 UTC
I had this issue on my Lenovo T460s with Bluetooth pairing of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones with Bluez 5.59-1.fc34, but the same headphones worked on my XPS 13 9360. The difference? I just did a fresh installation on my Lenovo and tried pairing with Bluez 5.59, whereas the XPS was originally paired with an earlier version of Bluez.

This is an issue with Bluez 5.59, where it does not support an A2DP audio profile with new devices. Most of the time, I'd also get the "Connected. Disconnected. Connec-Disconnected", but once in a while, it'd actually connect and stay connected with an HSP/HFP profile (bad audio quality, mono, low 8-16 khz; profile used for Bluetooth phone call modules) instead of a high-quality stereo A2DP profile (with LDAC, AAC, and SBC support).

Downgrading to 5.58 on my Lenovo, removing the device, removing /var/lib/bluetooth/*, and rebooting fixed it. (Downgrading and removing the device and restarting Bluetooth might be enough? Not sure.) With Bluez 5.58, the headphones pair and audio works with an A2DP profile once more.

Upstream bug: https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/157

Comment 2 Florian Weimer 2021-07-07 09:23:55 UTC
Is this the same as bug as bug 1936141?

Comment 3 Alberto Lusiani 2021-07-07 15:02:10 UTC
(In reply to Florian Weimer from comment #2)
> Is this the same as bug as bug 1936141?

It does not look the same as bug 1936141 to me. On the other hand it is the same issue as in https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/157 as far as I can understand.

Comment 4 Pasi Karkkainen 2021-07-08 13:05:00 UTC
bluez 5.60 has been tagged upstream, fixing the a2dp issue reported in https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/157

Comment 5 Alberto Lusiani 2021-07-12 07:50:25 UTC
I confirm that with bluez 5.60 the problems I mentioned are solved.

Comment 6 rktspm 2021-07-19 15:01:36 UTC
I confirm that this is fixed in bluez-5.60-1.fc34.x86_64, but I had to stop the bluetooth service, remove /var/lib/bluetooth (as the problem is related to cache files created by a previous version), and then restart the service.