Bug 427295

Summary: missing dependency for mysql - 5.0.22-2.2.el5_1.1
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Reporter: Chris Stankaitis <cstankaitis>
Component: yumAssignee: James Antill <james.antill>
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE QA Contact:
Severity: low Docs Contact:
Priority: low    
Version: 5.1CC: byte, tgl
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: x86_64   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-03-25 01:34:32 EDT Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:

Description Chris Stankaitis 2008-01-02 15:31:44 EST
Description of problem:

Trying to yum update... mysql for x86_64 it seems to have been built agains i?86
dependency..


=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
=============================================================================
Updating:
 mysql                   x86_64     5.0.22-2.2.el5_1.1  rhel-x86_64-client-5  3.0 M
Installing for dependencies:
 device-mapper           i386       1.02.20-1.el5    rhel-x86_64-client-5  652 k
 e2fsprogs-libs          i386       1.39-10.el5      rhel-x86_64-client-5  114 k
 keyutils-libs           i386       1.2-1.el5        rhel-x86_64-client-5   18 k
 krb5-libs               i386       1.6.1-17.el5     rhel-x86_64-client-5  651 k
 libselinux              i386       1.33.4-4.el5     rhel-x86_64-client-5   94 k
 libsepol                i386       1.15.2-1.el5     rhel-x86_64-client-5  129 k
 libstdc++               i386       4.1.2-14.el5     rhel-x86_64-client-5  354 k
 mysql                   i386       5.0.22-2.1.0.1   rhel-x86_64-client-5  3.0 M
 ncurses                 i386       5.5-24.20060715  rhel-x86_64-client-5  1.1 M
 openssl                 i686       0.9.8b-8.3.el5_0.2  rhel-x86_64-client-5  1.4 M

Transaction Summary
=============================================================================
Install     10 Package(s)
Update       2 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)


If I exclude the *i?86* RPM's as my systems are x86_64 only..

Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package subversion.x86_64 0:1.4.6-0.1.el5.rf set to be updated
---> Package mysql.x86_64 0:5.0.22-2.2.el5_1.1 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: mysql = 5.0.22-2.1.0.1 for package: mysql-server
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: mysql = 5.0.22-2.1.0.1 is needed by package mysql-server

please fix this up so that I can update my x86_64 only boxes.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable)

5.0.22-2.2.el5_1.1

How reproducible:

Always
Comment 1 Tom Lane 2008-01-02 17:23:57 EST
The x86_64 RPMs do not have any 32-bit dependency that I can see, so the first part of your complaint is 
perhaps a yum bug?  Reassigning to yum's owner to ask for ideas.

As for the second part, you can't update mysql without updating mysql-server at the same time.  That's 
intentional.
Comment 2 James Antill 2008-01-02 20:01:52 EST
 yum sometimes doesn't do what you want with regard to mutlilib. esp. the older
versions (as in RHEL-5.1). The exclude will do what you want _assuming_ that you
don't have any .i386 versions installed already, but it looks like you have a
mysql-server.i386.

 Try:

rpm --qf '%{name}-%|epoch?{%{epoch}:}:{0:}|%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' -q
mysql mysql-server

Comment 3 Chris Stankaitis 2008-01-03 17:35:17 EST
Actually in this case we do not...

[root@dev ~]# rpm --qf
'%{name}-%|epoch?{%{epoch}:}:{0:}|%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' -q mysql
mysql-server

mysql-0:5.0.22-2.1.0.1.x86_64
mysql-server-0:5.0.22-2.1.0.1.x86_64

I flushed my db cache... I guess it had gotten all wonked up... I can now patch
and update fine.. sorry for the bother.. you can close this issue.
Comment 4 Tom Lane 2008-01-03 23:59:19 EST
Hmm, do you have enough details to make this worth passing over to the rpm guys?  Because now it 
sounds like an rpm bug.
Comment 5 Chris Stankaitis 2008-01-04 10:23:55 EST
I ran yum clean metadate && yum clean dbcache

That was all I did.. also may have fixed another issue I had.. for some reason
my yum install couldn't find mod_python... a yum install or yum search would
turn up 0 results (nothing to do) after I ran the above that did the trick there
too.  

If you can give me an idea of the data your looking for I would be happy to try
and provide it to you.
Comment 6 Chris Stankaitis 2008-01-04 14:41:16 EST
from what I can tell, yum stopped using the channels other than base client for
some reason.  It was only updating the base client channel, not the workstation
channel etc..
Comment 7 James Antill 2009-03-25 01:34:32 EDT
This could have been a couple of weird things, esp. with those older versions of yum and yum-metadata-parser.