Bug 442270

Summary: Review Request: lxde-common - Default configuration files for LXDE
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Christoph Wickert <cwickert>
Component: Package ReviewAssignee: David Woodhouse <dwmw2>
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: rawhideCC: dwmw2, fedora, fedora-package-review, notting, pertusus
Target Milestone: ---Flags: dwmw2: fedora‑review+
kevin: fedora‑cvs+
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-10-15 22:02:55 EDT Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
Bug Depends On: 442268    
Bug Blocks: 505781    
Attachments:
Description Flags
screenshot with empty text for terminal in the bar
none
trash file none

Description Christoph Wickert 2008-04-13 13:09:59 EDT
Spec URL: http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common.spec
SRPM URL: http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common-0.3.0.1-1.fc9.src.rpm
Description: This package contains the default artwork and configuration files for LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.
Comment 1 Sebastian Vahl 2008-04-14 04:29:21 EDT
A suggestion: If possible I would prefer a seperate package for the icon 
theme. I believe this theme is used by many GNOME or KDE users. So having it 
as a seperate package without the need of installing lxde and it's 
dependencies would fit their needs better. And lxde-common could simply 
require it.
For this I assume that the integrated icon theme in the source tarball don't 
differ from the normal icon theme for GNOME or KDE.

BTW:
lxde-common.src:18: W: prereq-use coreutils
The use of PreReq is deprecated. In the majority of cases, a plain Requires
is enough and the right thing to do. Sometimes Requires(pre), Requires(post),
Requires(preun) and/or Requires(postun) can also be used instead of PreReq.
Comment 2 Christoph Wickert 2008-04-14 15:04:03 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> A suggestion: If possible I would prefer a seperate package for the icon 
> theme.

Done. lxde-common now requires nuoveXT-icon-theme because nuoveXT is the only
theme that has all icons needed for lxsession's logut dialog. If we could fix
that we could make the icon theme optional and use fedora by default.

> BTW:
> lxde-common.src:18: W: prereq-use coreutils

Fixed (removed). This was stolen from hicolor-icon-theme and is not really
needed here.

SPEC: http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common.spec
SRPM: http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common-0.3.0.1-2.fc9.src.rpm
Comment 3 Patrice Dumas 2008-04-27 13:21:05 EDT
The latest upstream version is 0.3.2.1, it includes lxde-settings
for example.
Comment 4 Christoph Wickert 2008-04-27 14:01:36 EDT
I know, but this is exactly the problem. lxde-settings is arch dependend while
the rest of the package is noarch. I think I'm going to split out the
nuoveXT-icon-theme completely anyway but I'm unsure what do to with the rest.
I'd like to have two packages called lxde-common and lxde-settings, both have
different arches.
Comment 5 Patrice Dumas 2008-04-27 17:19:31 EDT
Maybe upstream could be convinced to have lxde-settings as a
separate package?
Comment 6 David Woodhouse 2008-10-09 03:50:45 EDT
lxde-common.src:87: E: files-attr-not-set
lxde-common.src:88: E: files-attr-not-set
lxde-common.src:89: E: files-attr-not-set
3 packages and 0 specfiles checked; 3 errors, 0 warnings.
Comment 7 David Woodhouse 2008-10-09 04:32:11 EDT
This package provides /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/default with the following contents:

   smproxy
   xscreensaver -no-splash
   openbox --config-file $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
   lxpanel --profile LXDE
   pcmanfm -d


Now, smproxy doesn't exist (since you don't require xorg-x11-xsm any more).
xscreensaver doesn't exist either.
openbox refuses to start because there is no /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
lxpanel also refuses to start, saying the config file doesn't exist.
pcmanfm does seem to start. Yay! :)

When I choose LXDE at the gdm login prompt, I'm presented with a blank screen with just the programs I set to start up in my GNOME session (ssh-add, gmpc).

What am I missing? Hopefully just some missing Requires: in the package?
Comment 8 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-09 07:21:27 EDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> I know, but this is exactly the problem. lxde-settings is arch dependend while
> the rest of the package is noarch. I think I'm going to split out the
> nuoveXT-icon-theme completely anyway but I'm unsure what do to with the rest.
> I'd like to have two packages called lxde-common and lxde-settings, both have
> different arches.

I don't think this is very important, at this point. Just have an arch
package with regular subpackages and follow what upstream does. Moreover,
with the new rpm it seems that noarch subpackages of arch packages are
possible, so it could be used in the future.
Comment 9 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-09 07:39:08 EDT
Upstream has agreed to my suggestion to split out lxde-settings in the next release, see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=9d9f04bb0808261048s2b7467a9p606147750d993b87%40mail.gmail.com

I have split out the icon theme to avoid unnecessary updates of data that did not change. Going to publish a new package later today, stay tuned.
Comment 10 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-09 19:23:19 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> This package provides /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/default with the following
> contents:
> 
>    smproxy
>    xscreensaver -no-splash
>    openbox --config-file $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
>    lxpanel --profile LXDE
>    pcmanfm -d
> 
> 
> Now, smproxy doesn't exist (since you don't require xorg-x11-xsm any more).
> xscreensaver doesn't exist either.
> openbox refuses to start because there is no /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
> lxpanel also refuses to start, saying the config file doesn't exist.
> pcmanfm does seem to start. Yay! :)

This is not correct:
1. smproxy no longer is required, because lxsession-lite cannot save sessions (in contrast to lxsession)
2. I don't want to force people to install xscreensaver, because lxde works fine with other screensavers too. People who install LXDE most likely want a stripped down desktop environment, perhaps they want to use xlock or no screensaver at all. /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/default is just a config file that can be easily changed and the changes are preserved during updates. So I really don't see a problem here.
3. in /usr/bin/startlxde XDG_CONFIG_HOME is expanded to "$HOME/.config", so there is no need for /etc/xdg/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
4. startlxde will copy lxde-rc.xml from /usr/share/lxde/openbox/rc.xml to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/openbox/lxde-rc.xml (= $HOME/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml) if it does not exist.
5. Same for lxpanel. What you are seeing is a version mismatch problem because my package has not been touched for a while and the panel config changed to a new format supporting multiple panels in the meantime.

> When I choose LXDE at the gdm login prompt, I'm presented with a blank screen
> with just the programs I set to start up in my GNOME session (ssh-add, gmpc).
>
> What am I missing?

Try this one, together with the latest lxsession-lite package from bug #442268:
http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common-0.3.2.1-2.fc10.src.rpm
http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common.spec

I have completely removed the icon-theme and use Echo instead. I will package nuoveXT as lxde-icon-theme (noarch) later. Since it is not required any longer by lxsession-lite there is no need to hurry.

I have done my very best to make the new package multi-arch compatible. I'm preserving timestamps during install and so on, I hope this is for now (until lxde-settings is splitted out).

If anybody wants to review it, feel free. ;)
Comment 11 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-09 22:23:38 EDT
(In reply to comment #10)
> Try this one, together with the latest lxsession-lite package from bug #442268:

And please don't forget to wipe
~/.config/lx*
~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and
~/.config/pcmanfm/main.lxde
before you login to LXDE, so you really see the latest changes. TIA!
Comment 12 David Woodhouse 2008-10-10 02:56:52 EDT
Works better now, but pcmanfm has no icons: http://david.woodhou.se/where-icons.png
Comment 13 David Woodhouse 2008-10-10 03:18:05 EDT
Mock scratch build at http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=872700

Passes all review items at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

Installs OK as multilib.

APPROVED -- once you sort out the lack of icons.
Comment 14 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-10 06:02:14 EDT
(In reply to comment #12)
> Works better now, but pcmanfm has no icons:
> http://david.woodhou.se/where-icons.png

I guess you don't have echo-icon-theme installed, do you? Do you see icons when you select another icon theme (e.g with lxappearance) and re-login?

If the selected icon theme is not installed, lxde-settings falls back to hicolor which does not provide icons for folder and folder_home. 

IMO the fallback mechanism is sufficient, but of course I can require echo-icon-theme. What do you think?
Comment 15 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-10 06:10:26 EDT
Not a solution, but I guess that it is a similar issue that:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=209592
for thunar. Maybe this should be solved (or not solved) similarly.
Comment 16 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-10 07:01:12 EDT
To me there are 2 questions:
1. Do we need to require an icon theme, when it can easily be changed? I guess this is what most people try first when they hit that problem, most people care about 'the desktop stuff' more than you do. ;)
2. And if we require one, which one? Fedora's (Echo) or upstream's (nuoveXT/Rodent). IMO we should use our icons, because it's nearly impossible to remove it. For me uninstalling fedora-icon-theme would result in removing 141 packages including the whole Gnome Desktop, some system-config-* tools, anaconda and firstboot and many others. So I think for a normal desktop user we can assume that there there are icon themes installed and the fallback to hicolor is sufficient until he selects something different.

But I don't mind requiring echo for this package. What do you guys think?
Comment 17 David Woodhouse 2008-10-10 07:03:05 EDT
Setting another icon theme does seem to give me an icon for the Downloads folder, but nothing gives me an icon for My Documents unless I install the echo-icon-theme. Sounds like we should require that, at least for now.
Comment 18 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-10 07:23:49 EDT
(In reply to comment #16)
> to remove it. For me uninstalling fedora-icon-theme would result in removing
> 141 packages including the whole Gnome Desktop, some system-config-* tools,

libgnome depends on it.

Just to throw in my own experience, as a lightweight desktop guy since quite
long, for me it is not that hard to remove fedora-icon-theme. Currently
I have only pidgin and firefox that are removed, but these are application
I find particularly unsuited for my uses, too much bloated and with much
too pretty and heavy gui. However I haven't found lightweight replacements
so I still use them (in fact for pidgin I know there are replacements, but
I haven't have time to learn them).

But I think that in the long time, and for lxde users it should be a goal 
not to have anything from the gnome stack in a default install.
Comment 19 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-10 07:56:38 EDT
2 things that doesn't work for me:

* double clicking on th etrash gives 'command not found'
* the third icon from the left on the bar, between pcmanfm and firefox
  doesn't seem to work. And in the configuration application it seems to
  be blank
Comment 20 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-10 09:22:32 EDT
(In reply to comment #17)
> Setting another icon theme does seem to give me an icon for the Downloads
> folder, but nothing gives me an icon for My Documents unless I install the
> echo-icon-theme. Sounds like we should require that, at least for now.

This is strange because pcmanfm uses generic names that are provided by many icon themes. For me here on F9 it works Echo, Gnome, Fedora, Mist, Rodent and all icon themes that provide the icon. Folders change initially, the change of My Documents requires to re-login however.

(In reply to comment #18)

> But I think that in the long time, and for lxde users it should be a goal 
> not to have anything from the gnome stack in a default install.

Fully agreed, but as long as we have dependency chains like firstboot -> metacity we still have lots of gnome stuff around by default. But the icon set and the gtk theme are not gnome-specific, so I have no problems with them.

(In reply to comment #19)
> 2 things that doesn't work for me:
> 
> * double clicking on th etrash gives 'command not found'

What trash? There is no trash on the LX desktop.

> * the third icon from the left on the bar, between pcmanfm and firefox
>   doesn't seem to work. 

This is because you don't have lxterminal installed. Will be pulled in via comps, I don't want to require it for it is only a launcher that can be configured with a two clicks.

> And in the configuration application it seems to be blank
Which configuration app? lxappearance or lxpanel -C? Can you provide a screenshot?

New Package: (also took care of the timestamp of Source0)
http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common.spec
http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common-0.3.2.1-3.fc10.src.rpm

I require fedora-icon-theme now. It's just a few symlinks and makes sure that the default icon theme for each release (Echo, Mist...) is installed.
I also realized that I need to require fedora-logos because it provides start-here.png.

So IMO all icon problems are fixed now. Everybody agrees?
Comment 21 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-10 10:06:05 EDT
(In reply to comment #20)

> > * double clicking on th etrash gives 'command not found'
> 
> What trash? There is no trash on the LX desktop.

There is one on mine :-). Though I don't know where it comes from.

> > * the third icon from the left on the bar, between pcmanfm and firefox
> >   doesn't seem to work. 
> 
> This is because you don't have lxterminal installed. Will be pulled in via
> comps, I don't want to require it for it is only a launcher that can be
> configured with a two clicks.
> 
> > And in the configuration application it seems to be blank
> Which configuration app? lxappearance or lxpanel -C? Can you provide a
> screenshot?

If you tell me how...

> New Package: (also took care of the timestamp of Source0)
> http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common.spec
> http://cwickert.fedorapeople.org/review/lxde-common-0.3.2.1-3.fc10.src.rpm
> 
> I require fedora-icon-theme now. It's just a few symlinks and makes sure that
> the default icon theme for each release (Echo, Mist...) is installed.
> I also realized that I need to require fedora-logos because it provides
> start-here.png.
> 
> So IMO all icon problems are fixed now. Everybody agrees?

Yes.
Comment 22 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-10 10:40:10 EDT
(In reply to comment #21)
> (In reply to comment #20)
> 
> > > * double clicking on th etrash gives 'command not found'
> > 
> > What trash? There is no trash on the LX desktop.
> 
> There is one on mine :-). Though I don't know where it comes from.

Me ether, it's definitely not LXDE, because pcmanfm has no trash. Can you see the trash in 'ls ~/Desktop'? Perhaps it's a desktop file? 

> > Which configuration app? lxappearance or lxpanel -C? Can you provide a
> > screenshot?
> 
> If you tell me how...

With import from ImageMagic for example:
whole desktop: import -window root screenshot.jpg
single window: import -frame screenshot.jpg (cursor will change, then click the window you want)

> > So IMO all icon problems are fixed now. Everybody agrees?
> 
> Yes.

Ok then:
New Package CVS Request
=======================
Package Name: lxde-comon
Short Description: Default configuration files for LXDE
Owners: cwickert
Branches: F-8 F-9
InitialCC:
Comment 23 Kevin Fenzi 2008-10-10 19:08:17 EDT
cvs done. 
(I assume you mean 'lxde-common' not 'lxde-comon' :)
Comment 24 Fedora Update System 2008-10-10 20:24:45 EDT
lxde-common-0.3.2.1-3.fc9 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 9.
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/lxde-common-0.3.2.1-3.fc9
Comment 25 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-12 05:18:54 EDT
Created attachment 320137 [details]
screenshot with empty text for terminal in the bar
Comment 26 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-12 05:23:57 EDT
(In reply to comment #22)
> (In reply to comment #21)
> > (In reply to comment #20)
> > 
> > > > * double clicking on th etrash gives 'command not found'
> > > 
> > > What trash? There is no trash on the LX desktop.
> > 
> > There is one on mine :-). Though I don't know where it comes from.
> 
> Me ether, it's definitely not LXDE, because pcmanfm has no trash. Can you see
> the trash in 'ls ~/Desktop'? Perhaps it's a desktop file? 

Indeed it is 
~/Desktop/trash.desktop

Since in fluxbox I don't see my Desktop, I don't know when it appeared.
I guess that in the long term lxde should take that trash into account.
Comment 27 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-12 07:33:27 EDT
(In reply to comment #25)
> screenshot with empty text for terminal in the bar

Although this is not very user friendly it is the expected behavior ATM. :(

(In reply to comment #26) 
> Indeed it is 
> ~/Desktop/trash.desktop

Ok, and what is the command specified in this file?

> Since in fluxbox I don't see my Desktop, I don't know when it appeared.
> I guess that in the long term lxde should take that trash into account.

When has this file been created? I guess it has been around on your desktop for a while but you did not see it because fluxbox does not support desktop files.
Comment 28 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-12 08:04:54 EDT
Here are the associated times:

Access: 2008-10-12 14:03:06.000000000 +0200
Modify: 2007-06-15 19:30:01.000000000 +0200
Change: 2007-06-15 19:30:01.000000000 +0200
Comment 29 Patrice Dumas 2008-10-12 08:05:34 EDT
Created attachment 320139 [details]
trash file
Comment 30 Christoph Wickert 2008-10-12 08:16:04 EDT
So this file has been there for quite a while and belongs to KDE because of the "OnlyShowIn=KDE". Unfortunately pcmanfm does not honor OnlyShowIn.
Comment 31 Fedora Update System 2008-10-15 22:02:51 EDT
lxde-common-0.3.2.1-3.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Comment 32 Christoph Wickert 2009-05-22 21:48:47 EDT
Package Change Request
======================
Package Name: lxde-common
New Branches: EL-4 EL-5
Owners: cwickert
Comment 33 Kevin Fenzi 2009-05-23 01:25:51 EDT
cvs done.