Bug 47902

Summary: rhn_register (console app) cannot find redhat-release in RPM database
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: Need Real Name <dlc>
Component: rhn_registerAssignee: Adrian Likins <alikins>
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME QA Contact: Jay Turner <jturner>
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 6.2CC: srevivo
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i386   
OS: Linux   
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-07-08 23:34:26 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Need Real Name 2001-07-08 23:21:20 UTC
Description of Problem:
I could not use rhn_register-1.3.1 due to another bug that you've already
fixed, so I upgraded to rhn_register-1.3.6-1.  I then ran rhn_register as
root inside an xterm.  It crashed, but it pointed me to the problem and I
used my mad Python skills (I don't know Python) to fix it (not the best
fix, probably, so don't expect a patch).

In /usr/share/rhn/register/rhnreg.py from 1.3.6-1, there is a call 
   index = db.findbyprovides("redhat-release")
that fails.  I changed it to 'findbyname' and it succeeded.  (You don't
check the result, so the next line's call to db[index] crashed.)

How Reproducible:
Every time with my RPM database, which is originally RH 6.2 with many
packages, e.g. rpm, upgraded.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to my apartment, ... ;->

Actual Results:

Expected Results:

Additional Information:

Comment 1 Adrian Likins 2001-07-08 23:34:23 UTC
Try running:

      rpm --rebuilddb

And trying it again. The error you report is indicative of
a rpm db problem caused on some upgrades. The "rpm --rebuilddb"
will fix it.