Bug 4956

Summary: executable file produced by g77 doesn't execute
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: gaitan
Component: egcsAssignee: Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin>
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG QA Contact:
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: high    
Version: 6.0CC: gaitan
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i386   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 1999-09-09 01:19:01 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: --- Target Upstream Version:

Description gaitan 1999-09-07 17:03:30 UTC
Hello,

I custom installed version 6.0 Linux and installed all
packages from the installation CD (selected "everything").
I wrote a test program for g77 which was suppose to print a
string to the terminal monitor. I ran the command
"g77 test.f (return)" and the file a.out was created. I
typed "a.out (return)" to execute and got the error message
"a.out: command not found". I tried the command
"g77 -o test test.f (return)" and the file 'test' was
created. When I typed "test (return)" to execute the
program, no error message appeared, but neither did the
test string so it appears the file didn't execute. Can you
figure out what's wrong? Thanks, Frank.

Comment 1 blavier 1999-09-08 23:22:59 UTC
Current dir is not in the path - and should not be.  Try "./a.out"
to run your "a.out" example.  The "test" example behave differently
because "test" is a bash builtin (try "help test").

Comment 2 Jim Kingdon 1999-09-09 01:18:59 UTC
Thanks for letting us know.  Frank Gaitan writes:

  I figured out what the problem was regarding bug #4956.
  My path wasn't set up to have the shell look in the
  working directory for executable files. Also naming
  the executable file "test" didn't help things any because
  there is a Linux utility named "test"! I fixed my path,
  and renamed the executable file, and g77 is working
  fine now. There was no problem with the installation
  of egcs-g77 after all (i.e. no real bug after all).