Bug 560170

Summary: Review Request: jcodings - Java-based codings helper classes for Joni and JRuby
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Victor G. Vasilyev <victor.vasilyev>
Component: Package ReviewAssignee: Mo Morsi <mmorsi>
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: rawhideCC: fedora-package-review, mmorsi, notting
Target Milestone: ---Flags: mmorsi: fedora‑review+
kevin: fedora‑cvs+
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-02-11 14:48:52 EST Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Bug Depends On:    
Bug Blocks: 541638, 560169, 560172, 561482, 561484    

Description Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-01-29 21:26:20 EST
Spec URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings.spec
SRPM URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings-1.0.2-1.fc13.src.rpm
Description: 
Java-based codings helper classes for Joni and JRuby.


This review request has been filed, because the package was last updated more
than three months ago and it is orphaned:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/jcodings
Comment 1 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-01 15:28:58 EST
The rpmlint tool shows 0 errors 0 warnings against both packages:
jcodings-1.0.2-1.fc13.src.rpm
jcodings-1.0.2-1.fc13.noarch.rpm

Successful koji build:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1957311
Comment 2 Thomas Spura 2010-02-04 08:27:15 EST
*** Bug 561464 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-05 01:29:38 EST
Self-review:
http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings.self-review.txt
Comment 4 Mo Morsi 2010-02-08 13:49:17 EST
Looks good for most part, builds find in mock/koji and passes most review guidelines. 

A couple of specifics though:

Even though this is in the orphaned specfile, the following line doesn't work (try it yourself):
find -name '*.jar' -o -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;

You can replace it w/ this if you want:
find \( -name '*.class' -o -name '*.jar' \) -exec rm -rf {} \;

or this:
find ./ -name '*.jar' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find ./ -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;

As far as the changelog you have a typo, "Jun 2010" should be "Jan 2010". 

Also why did you remove the previous entries from the changelog http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/jcodings/F-11/jcodings.spec?view=markup

I would leave those in and add a bit about gcj support being removed for jcodings. I had tried getting gcj/jcodings working myself to no avail, aot-compile-rpm blocks indefinetly, consuming more and more resources. If you can figure out the problem, adding gcj support is easy, if not just add a note to the changelog.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/GCJGuidelines
Comment 5 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-08 19:01:40 EST
(In reply to comment #4)
First of all, thanks for review.

> Looks good for most part, builds find in mock/koji and passes most review
> guidelines. 
> 
> A couple of specifics though:
> 
> Even though this is in the orphaned specfile, the following line doesn't work
> (try it yourself):
> find -name '*.jar' -o -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
> 
> You can replace it w/ this if you want:
> find \( -name '*.class' -o -name '*.jar' \) -exec rm -rf {} \;
> 
> or this:
> find ./ -name '*.jar' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
> find ./ -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
fixed as described.
> 
> As far as the changelog you have a typo, "Jun 2010" should be "Jan 2010".
fixed. 
> 
> Also why did you remove the previous entries from the changelog
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/jcodings/F-11/jcodings.spec?view=markup
The clause with "find" was only a line that has not been changed in the spec. So, I've considered it as a new package, and a history, from my viewpoint, is not interesting for anybody. Nevertheless, if you prefer then I'll save the changelog.
> 
> I would leave those in and add a bit about gcj support being removed for
> jcodings. I had tried getting gcj/jcodings working myself to no avail,
> aot-compile-rpm blocks indefinetly, consuming more and more resources. If you
> can figure out the problem, adding gcj support is easy, if not just add a note
> to the changelog.
> 
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/GCJGuidelines
As the package was orphaned more than three months and it also has been deprecated I guess it is an updated package. Hence, I use the following rule:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java#Java_on_Fedora
"... AOT compilation using GCJ has been deprecated (made optional) and new or updated packages will be built using OpenJDK to produce regular Java bytecode. ..."

I don't see any reasons to save gcj bits in the package. The F12 release doesn't include this package, therefore it is a proof that there are not any existing dependencies on the gcj bits of this package, and it can be removed without any problems. 
And also, I think, it is clear why so dangerously use of a "Java" environment that has not passed the testing via Java Compatibility Kit.
I guess we shouldn't spend the time on support of the deprecated technology.

The second release is prepared for review:
Spec URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings.spec
SRPM URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings-1.0.2-2.fc13.src.rpm
Comment 6 Mo Morsi 2010-02-10 13:06:03 EST
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > Even though this is in the orphaned specfile, the following line doesn't work
> > (try it yourself):
> > find -name '*.jar' -o -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
> > 
> > You can replace it w/ this if you want:
> > find \( -name '*.class' -o -name '*.jar' \) -exec rm -rf {} \;
> > 
> > or this:
> > find ./ -name '*.jar' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
> > find ./ -name '*.class' -exec rm -f '{}' \;
> fixed as described.
> > 
> > As far as the changelog you have a typo, "Jun 2010" should be "Jan 2010".
> fixed. 

Great, thanks for both of these.

> > 
> > Also why did you remove the previous entries from the changelog
> > http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/jcodings/F-11/jcodings.spec?view=markup
> The clause with "find" was only a line that has not been changed in the spec.
> So, I've considered it as a new package, and a history, from my viewpoint, is
> not interesting for anybody. Nevertheless, if you prefer then I'll save the
> changelog.

Ya, think it's good to leave it in, not only for the specfile but just so we can see the package maintainer history and that it matches up w/ the cvs commit history.


> The second release is prepared for review:
> Spec URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings.spec
> SRPM URL: http://victorv.fedorapeople.org/files/jcodings-1.0.2-2.fc13.src.rpm

Excellent, went through all the review guidelines and it fully passes.

APPROVED

Please follow http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CVSAdminProcedure and import
the package. Close this bug as RAWHIDE once it's been successfully imported
and built.
Comment 7 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-10 14:41:30 EST
Package Change Request
======================
Package Name: jcodings
New Branches: 
Owners: mmorsi victorv
Updated Description: Java-based codings helper classes for Joni and JRuby


The package https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/jcodings exists, but has been orphaned and deprecated.
Comment 8 Kevin Fenzi 2010-02-11 01:20:58 EST
cvs done.

Note that you will need to file a ticket in rel-eng track to get this package unblocked before it will build in rawhide.
Comment 9 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-11 05:07:01 EST
cvs import done.

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/3376
Comment 10 Victor G. Vasilyev 2010-02-11 14:48:52 EST
Koji build:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1978297