Bug 591776

Summary: ‘Space’,‘Enter’, and arrow keys don't work in VNC
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: He Rui <rhe>
Component: tigervncAssignee: Adam Tkac <atkac>
Status: CLOSED ERRATA QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: low    
Version: 13CC: atkac, jgorig, jlaska, jonathan, ovasik, robatino, sergio.pasra, vanmeeuwen+fedora
Target Milestone: ---Keywords: CommonBugs
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs#vnc-modifier-keys
Fixed In Version: tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-05-18 17:52:52 EDT Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:

Description He Rui 2010-05-13 01:40:47 EDT
Description of problem:
It happens after F13-beta. Use VNC during install, then I found that except 'tab', you have to use the mouse to click the button or move the highlight. ‘Space’,‘Enter’ buttons can't press a button, and arrow keys can't move the highlight either.  

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
anaconda 13.42.
But under my testing, it happens after F13 Beta.

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Boot F13-Final media.
2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_VNC
3. Try to use keyboard to control the highlight and press a button.


Expected results:
‘Space’,‘Enter’, and arrow keys work normally as F13 Beta and before.
Comment 1 Andre Robatino 2010-05-13 04:39:44 EDT
Verified on x86_64 using both vinagre and tigervnc (except for some partial functionality on the package group selection page).  Does not occur on i386.
Comment 2 James Laska 2010-05-13 09:09:09 EDT
I suspect this might have something to do with VNC.  I've seen this randomly appear and go away at times during the release.  

Hurry and Andre: do you always see this problem with all VNC x86_64 installs, or only occasionally?

Is there anything interested in /tmp/X.log or the vnclog from the install environment?

Adding VNC maintainer for additional insight.
Comment 3 Andre Robatino 2010-05-13 09:57:16 EDT
Happened on both of the 64-bit installs I did (one with tigervnc and one with vinagre).  I don't see any logs in the install environment but I wasn't even aware that such logs were supposed to exist so I'm not the right person to ask.
Comment 4 Adam Tkac 2010-05-13 10:12:30 EDT
This issue is fixed in the latest tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 package which was pushed to updates-testing earlier today.

Note this issue is present always, not only sometimes. Keys like arrows and enter doesn't work.
Comment 5 Andre Robatino 2010-05-13 10:16:18 EDT
As mentioned above, I have some reproducible functionality on the package selection page - I can use the up/down arrows and the space bar to select between "Graphical Install", "Minimal", etc.  But that's about it.
Comment 6 Sergio Pascual 2010-05-13 18:08:55 EDT
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same bug. In my case, arrow keys in gnome terminals are converted to A, B, C, and D. On the other hand, window applications seem to receive arrow keys with a shift. So when I type Left, the application receives Shift+Left. The same happens with Return, Space and Backspace.

tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 doesn't fix my problem
Comment 7 Adam Tkac 2010-05-14 06:46:07 EDT
(In reply to comment #6)
> I'm not sure if it's exactly the same bug. In my case, arrow keys in gnome
> terminals are converted to A, B, C, and D. On the other hand, window
> applications seem to receive arrow keys with a shift. So when I type Left, the
> application receives Shift+Left. The same happens with Return, Space and
> Backspace.
> 
> tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 doesn't fix my problem    

That's weird, exactly your issue should be fixed in the -0.11 update. Are you sure you restarted Xvnc after update (`vncserver -kill <display>` & `vncserver <display>`)? If this issue is still present with the latest tigervnc-server please run /usr/bin/xev inside VNC session and press some keys with and without shift and attach output & key sequence here, please.
Comment 8 He Rui 2010-05-17 01:49:01 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> I suspect this might have something to do with VNC.  I've seen this randomly
> appear and go away at times during the release.  
> 
> Hurry and Andre: do you always see this problem with all VNC x86_64 installs,
> or only occasionally?
> 

Hi James, I tried F12 GA, F13 Alpha, Beta VNC x86_64 installs, it passed. But from F13 Final, this issue happens,and is 100% reproducible. 

> Is there anything interested in /tmp/X.log or the vnclog from the install
> environment?
> 

I didn't find anything odd in these files. The only difference between F13-beta and F13-final in the /tmp/vncserver.log is the version of underlying X server release. 

They probably use different vncserver version, but I don't know how to check it in anaconda. The version in vncserver.log only displays 1.0.90 without a detailed one. Thanks.
Comment 9 He Rui 2010-05-17 02:01:26 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > I'm not sure if it's exactly the same bug. In my case, arrow keys in gnome
> > terminals are converted to A, B, C, and D. On the other hand, window
> > applications seem to receive arrow keys with a shift. So when I type Left, the
> > application receives Shift+Left. The same happens with Return, Space and
> > Backspace.
> > 
> > tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 doesn't fix my problem    
> 
> That's weird, exactly your issue should be fixed in the -0.11 update. Are you
> sure you restarted Xvnc after update (`vncserver -kill <display>` & `vncserver
> <display>`)? If this issue is still present with the latest tigervnc-server
> please run /usr/bin/xev inside VNC session and press some keys with and without
> shift and attach output & key sequence here, please.    

I can confirm that tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 fixes Sergio's problem. Sergio, can you please restart Xvnc as Adam suggested and try again? 

Adam, can it prove that this version also fixes my problem during vnc install? Since I don't know how to test a new vnc server during installation, I installed it on the desktop after installation.
Comment 10 James Laska 2010-05-17 09:04:50 EDT
I have created an updates image to work around this problem for Fedora 13/x86_64 VNC users.  The updates image is available at http://jlaska.fedorapeople.org/updates-591776.img  

The updates image includes:
 * tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13.x86_64
 * a PYTHON installer change to use the updated VNC server (vnc.py)

For details on using the updates image, see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates#Updates_from_the_Network
Comment 11 Sergio Pascual 2010-05-17 09:19:55 EDT
tigervnc-server-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 fixes my problem
Comment 12 Fedora Update System 2010-05-17 09:36:19 EDT
tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 13.
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13
Comment 13 He Rui 2010-05-17 22:36:37 EDT
(In reply to comment #10)
> I have created an updates image to work around this problem for Fedora
> 13/x86_64 VNC users.  The updates image is available at
> http://jlaska.fedorapeople.org/updates-591776.img  
> 
> The updates image includes:
>  * tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13.x86_64
>  * a PYTHON installer change to use the updated VNC server (vnc.py)
> 
> For details on using the updates image, see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates#Updates_from_the_Network    

Thanks, James. Verified fixed this issue. I've added one karma on this update.
Comment 14 Fedora Update System 2010-05-18 17:52:36 EDT
tigervnc-1.0.90-0.11.20100420svn4030.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.