Bug 720524

Summary: No network (NAT) in guests on a Rawhide (F16) host
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Adam Williamson <awilliam>
Component: libvirtAssignee: Fedora Virtualization Maintainers <virt-maint>
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: unspecified    
Version: rawhideCC: aquini, berrange, clalance, crobinso, itamar, jforbes, laine, veillard, virt-maint
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: Unspecified   
OS: Unspecified   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-09-22 16:26:52 EDT Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Adam Williamson 2011-07-11 19:41:27 EDT
I'm running current Rawhide, a pretty clean install - clean installed F15 and updated to Rawhide shortly after - on my desktop. I tried to set up a VM, following the 'normal' process: 'yum groupinstall Virtualization', then use virt-manager's wizard to set up a VM. Normally, networking would work in the guest using the default NAT setup; this is how it's always been for me before, with F15 and F14. But now it doesn't work, the guest gets no working network connection. There is an eth0 interface, but it always fails to get an IPv4 address via DHCP.

I did not do anything unusual to the configuration of virt-manager or libvirt or qemu or anything. I did some troubleshooting via IRC with acathrow, who said he couldn't see anything out of place about the setup. We tested:

* Disabling firewall
* Enabling IPv4 forwarding, which seems to be disabled by default (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward )
* Removing virbr0-nic from the bridge
* Loading vhost-net module

none of that seemed to make any difference. Right now I have the vm set up to use virtio for the network interface, but at first I was testing with 'Hypervisor default' - I'm guessing that's rtl8139? - and it didn't work either. I've tried both Windows (XP) and Fedora (current Rawhide XFCE live image) in the guest, so I don't think the guest is to blame.

I can provide remote access to the system if it will help anyone to diagnose the problem.
Comment 1 Adam Williamson 2011-07-11 19:43:32 EDT
oh, the host has selinux set to Permissive, so that shouldn't be interfering.
Comment 2 Fedora Admin XMLRPC Client 2011-09-22 13:49:42 EDT
This package has changed ownership in the Fedora Package Database.  Reassigning to the new owner of this component.
Comment 3 Fedora Admin XMLRPC Client 2011-09-22 13:52:40 EDT
This package has changed ownership in the Fedora Package Database.  Reassigning to the new owner of this component.
Comment 4 Fedora Admin XMLRPC Client 2011-09-22 13:57:52 EDT
This package has changed ownership in the Fedora Package Database.  Reassigning to the new owner of this component.
Comment 5 Adam Williamson 2011-09-22 16:26:52 EDT
This has been fixed for a while, I don't remember what caused it. It may have been the dnsmasq issue.