Bug 739691

Summary: grub2-mkconfig - wrorg UUID for new linux instalation
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Flóki Pálsson <flokip>
Component: grub2Assignee: Peter Jones <pjones>
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance <extras-qa>
Severity: unspecified Docs Contact:
Priority: unspecified    
Version: 16CC: dennis, extras-orphan, mads, notting, pjones
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: Unspecified   
OS: Unspecified   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-10-24 23:15:39 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Flóki Pálsson 2011-09-19 19:39:01 UTC
Description of problem:
After instaling Linux Mint 11 to /dev/sdb8 and runing 
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
then it is not bossible to boot to Linux Mint 11 from F16.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
grub2-1.99-6.fc16.x86_64

How reproducible:
always ( I belive )

Steps to Reproduce:
1.  innstall Linux Mint 11 to /dev/sdb8 
2.  grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg in F16
3.  boot and using from F14
title Fedora F16
	root (hd0,9)
	kernel /boot/grub2/core.img
	boot
4.  Scelect   menuentry "linux (on /dev/sdb8)" 

Actual results:
balnk serean

Expected results:
to boo into linux mint


Additional info:
This is possuble with unbuntu 11.04 agter using update-grub
There is wrong uuid in F16 menuentry.
It is right in unbuntu 11.04
See result from blkid below


Fedora F16   form /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
menuentry "linux (on /dev/sdb8)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(hd1,msdos8)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 4b20feaf-9cf7-49b2-896d-94602ce1cded
	linux /boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=4b20feaf-9cf7-49b2-896d-94602ce1cded resume=/dev/vg_flokid/lv_swap splash=silent vga=788
	initrd (hd1,7)/boot/initrd.img
}

ubuntu 11.04  form /boot/grub/grub.cfg
menuentry "Linux Mint 11, 2.6.38-8-generic (/dev/sdb8) (on /dev/sdb8)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos8)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c
	linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
	initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}


[floki@F16tc2 ~]$ blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="tonl" UUID="ca6b045e-79a6-446f-877b-665065cf7736" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb11: LABEL="Slilaz" UUID="796537e4-fa90-4400-9e19-cf7e92c79a6e" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb12: LABEL="DL" UUID="900b7d34-f374-4e50-9e29-e003133b9a16" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb13: LABEL="unity" UUID="0e85be6f-4c74-432e-aa35-d16dba2e991e" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb14: LABEL="_Fedora-16-Beta-" UUID="da331b1e-9ac4-4613-a110-88c6a28bf97f" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb15: UUID="f2158159-0bc6-43de-abfa-30182c1b018d" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="F14" UUID="72a4b3b4-0192-4ab2-990c-f1d7de5b74dc" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb3: UUID="6160908b-a3ef-438f-87bc-ae58ed6e9745" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb5: LABEL="Fedora-13-x86_64" UUID="7ae5713c-a37d-4839-b745-d09bcad72068" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb6: LABEL="F15" UUID="857f46f6-4201-4c27-952f-4c71c236cbb9" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb7: LABEL="UB1104" UUID="38b20bcf-26f5-49d9-bb36-f1ce3bb7b558" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb8: LABEL="Mandriva" UUID="0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb9: LABEL="deb6" UUID="e3dd4357-4194-4904-b942-eca9855a2c2c" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdc2: UUID="78bf8be7-ad11-41e8-8899-b2c0c6becf31" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdc3: UUID="gdFPcE-gGkV-oHEe-xVP1-5OE9-Fl0t-dr1fid" TYPE="LVM2_member" 
/dev/sdb16: UUID="d3f0ecc7-1e00-4164-987b-59eb36369dbf" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb17: UUID="f9be13a9-433e-480e-8905-ec4f42d17d28" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home: UUID="5117fec5-e101-4911-9ea3-c5653fc473e9" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root: UUID="4247d989-5af1-4a21-91e7-8afe7b37d993" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb1: UUID="90c52514-333f-450a-9d86-8620e24b8482" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sdb10: LABEL="_Fedora-16-Beta-" UUID="e0d4f83b-e85f-404b-a43f-441e8cb6cd25" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap: UUID="9a405900-c54a-43ae-8f25-17cc13c6e6d8" TYPE="swap" 
[floki@F16tc2 ~]$

Comment 1 Mads Kiilerich 2011-10-24 15:06:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> After instaling Linux Mint 11 to /dev/sdb8 and runing 
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

/boot/grub ? Fedora grub2 uses /boot/grub2. That is where it places files and that is where it looks for device.map and so on.

If you have a shared /boot where some other distro has installed /boot/grub then I guess you should use that distro for updating the config file and you will have to do a lot of manual work to ensure that the distros doesn't step on each others files. (Separate /boot and chain loading will probably be less trouble.)

> Fedora F16   form /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> menuentry "linux (on /dev/sdb8)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
>  insmod part_msdos
>  insmod ext2
>  set root='(hd1,msdos8)'
>  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 4b20feaf-9cf7-49b2-896d-94602ce1cded
>  linux /boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux
> root=UUID=4b20feaf-9cf7-49b2-896d-94602ce1cded resume=/dev/vg_flokid/lv_swap
> splash=silent vga=788
>  initrd (hd1,7)/boot/initrd.img
> }

How do the full grub.cfg look like? Is this one of the 10_linux entries or is it from 30_os-prober ?

> ubuntu 11.04  form /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> menuentry "Linux Mint 11, 2.6.38-8-generic (/dev/sdb8) (on /dev/sdb8)" --class
> gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
>  insmod part_msdos
>  insmod ext2
>  set root='(/dev/sdb,msdos8)'

This is (AFAIK) not valid syntax for grub 1.99 used by Fedora 16. If that works for you then you are using a boot loader that is incompatible with grub 1.99.

>  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c
>  linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
> root=UUID=0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
>  initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic

So the Fedora mkconfig also got the initrd wrong?

> /dev/sdb8: LABEL="Mandriva" UUID="0a9a63db-a434-42e9-9446-fc45776f4d4c"

Mint was installed on the "Mandriva" partition?

Comment 2 Flóki Pálsson 2011-10-24 21:23:07 UTC
Yo got me.
This bug should bee closed as NOTABUG.

>> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>/boot/grub ? Fedora grub2 uses /boot/grub2.
Yes this is wrong output file an no wonder why F16 could not boot Linux Mint.

>How do the full grub.cfg look like? Is this one of the 10_linux entries or is
>it from 30_os-prober ?
It was from  30_os-prober.  But entry from before installation off LINUX mint. 

>This is (AFAIK) not valid syntax for grub 1.99 used by Fedora 16. If that works
>for you then you are using a boot loader that is incompatible with grub 1.99.
This is from ubuntu  /boot/grub/grub.cfg

With 
 grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
then there is no problem booting to linux Mint on /dev/sd8

I am sorry fore this error bug report.
Thanks for pointing that out.
 
I must say that the syntax in Ubuntu is simpler ( update-grub).

Comment 3 Mads Kiilerich 2011-10-24 23:15:39 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> I must say that the syntax in Ubuntu is simpler ( update-grub).

Ok, so when we get to the root cause it was really a duplicate of
Bug 740953 - RFE: Provide command to easily update grub.cfg ;-)

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 740953 ***