Bug 82799

Summary: ptal-init setup fails when using UTF-8 locale
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: Elias Mårtenson <elias-m>
Component: hpojAssignee: Tim Waugh <twaugh>
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE QA Contact:
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 9   
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: athlon   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-02-21 18:51:25 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: --- Target Upstream Version:

Description Elias Mårtenson 2003-01-26 18:56:30 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.7 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20021216

Description of problem:
When running "ptal-init setup" after installing the hpoj drivers, the script
successfully manages to detect the printer (in my case an HP OfficeJet K60) but
after setting everything up, "ptal-init setup" exited with an error message.

WORKAROUND
----------
If I start the progam using the wollowing command instead, it works:

    $ LC_ALL=C ptal-init setup


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
Start "ptam-init setup" with an HP OfficeJet K60 printer attached to the USB bus.


Actual Results:  Currently defined device names ([*]=default):
    *** The following devices are using an obsolete configuration
    *** file format.  Use "/usr/sbin/ptal-init setup"
    *** to delete and re-probe them:
    --> "mlc:usb:OfficeJet_K60"
 
A system-wide default device name is not currently defined.
 
Press <Enter> alone to continue with no default,
or enter a new default device name here --->

-----
here you are back at the shell prompt with an incorrect printer installation


Expected Results:  The printer should have been installed.


Additional info:

The installer has a problem reading the configuration file it created. I did
this on a sunday, and "sunday" in swedish is "s�ndag" (note the special
character). The current date is pasted into the generated config file which
could be the cause of the problem.

I did try to remove the (possibly) offending character but it still wouldn't
accept the configuration. I only managed to get it to run after re-probing with
LC_ALL set to C.

Comment 1 Elias Mårtenson 2003-01-26 18:57:58 UTC
I forgot to report my locale settings:

ale$ locale
LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
ale$


Comment 2 Tim Waugh 2003-01-26 19:51:48 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 82652 ***

Comment 3 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-02-21 18:51:25 UTC
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.