Bug 87430

Summary: klipper can't load URLs -- inserts single quote at beginning
Product: [Retired] Red Hat Linux Reporter: Chris Ricker <chris.ricker>
Component: kdebaseAssignee: Than Ngo <than>
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE QA Contact: Ben Levenson <benl>
Severity: high Docs Contact:
Priority: high    
Version: 9CC: mitr
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: All   
OS: Linux   
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-05-08 11:34:22 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: --- Target Upstream Version:

Description Chris Ricker 2003-03-26 20:44:15 UTC
This is on a fresh install of RHL 9 gold (kdebase-3.1-12)

klipper cannot open URLs with mozilla. Attempting to do so always results in the
Mozilla error "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded". Clicking OK then
displays a second Mozilla error, that "www.'.com" cannot be found.

This is because the URL klipper passes to Mozilla has a single quote (')
inserted at the beginning of it (in other words, highlighting
http://www.google.com gets passed by klipper to Mozilla as the URL

This bug is specific to klipper and Mozilla; passing URLs via klipper to
konqueror is not broken

This bug makes klipper unusable for those of us who use Mozilla as our web browser

Comment 1 Chris Ricker 2003-04-02 16:47:16 UTC
Sometimes it just puts a single quote (') at the beginning, and sometimes it
puts the single quote at both the beginning and the ending

I just got the URL


in my email, for example, and that was passed to mozilla by klipper as


It was still passed to konqueror okay, though

Comment 2 Chris Ricker 2003-04-02 16:48:58 UTC
Hmm, and the URL


got passed by klipper to mozilla as


maybe it's always putting a single quote at both ends, and I just didn't notice
the ending one before....

Comment 3 Than Ngo 2003-05-08 11:34:22 UTC
it's fixed in kdebase-3.1.1-9 or later.

if you want to have a quick fix, please change the line in

ps x |grep -q '[m]ozilla' && mozilla -remote "openURL(%s, new-window)" || mozilla %s


ps x |grep -q '[m]ozilla' && mozilla -remote "openURL(`echo %s`, new-window)" ||
mozilla %s

please make sure that you should restart klipper!