Bug 1003967 - powertop can't generate tuned profile
powertop can't generate tuned profile
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: powertop (Show other bugs)
22
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jaroslav Škarvada
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: Reopened
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-09-03 11:12 EDT by Martin
Modified: 2015-09-24 06:00 EDT (History)
11 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-07-28 04:40:30 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
powertop.html (30.84 KB, text/html)
2014-05-15 10:30 EDT, Dominik Grafenhofer
no flags Details
powertop.html (82.76 KB, text/html)
2015-07-27 11:25 EDT, Mario Sanchez Prada
no flags Details
powertop.html (78.82 KB, text/html)
2015-09-24 05:43 EDT, rfranr
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Martin 2013-09-03 11:12:11 EDT
Description of problem:
powertop can't generate tuned profile

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
powertop-2.4-1.fc19.x86_64
tuned-utils-2.2.2-1.fc19.noarch

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run: powertop2tuned powertop-profile

Actual results:
Your Powertop version is incompatible (maybe too old) or the generated HTML output is malformed

Expected results:
no error

Additional info:
'LANG=C powertop --html' console output:
BUG: requesting unregistered parameter 64
BUG: requesting unregistered parameter 69
Comment 2 Dominik Grafenhofer 2014-05-15 09:48:24 EDT
This error persists on Fedora 20:

powertop-2.5-2.fc20.x86_64
tuned-utils-2.3.0-3.fc20.noarch
Comment 3 Jaroslav Škarvada 2014-05-15 09:54:34 EDT
(In reply to Dominik Grafenhofer from comment #2)
> This error persists on Fedora 20:
> 
> powertop-2.5-2.fc20.x86_64
> tuned-utils-2.3.0-3.fc20.noarch

Please provide output of:
# LANG=C powertop --html
Comment 4 Dominik Grafenhofer 2014-05-15 09:56:19 EDT
# LANG=C powertop --html

Loaded 0 prior measurements
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL device for cpu 0
Preparing to take measurements
  unknown op '{'
Taking 1 measurement(s) for a duration of 20 second(s) each.
PowerTOP outputing using base filename powertop.html
Comment 5 Jaroslav Škarvada 2014-05-15 10:02:28 EDT
(In reply to Dominik Grafenhofer from comment #4)
> # LANG=C powertop --html
> 
> Loaded 0 prior measurements
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> Preparing to take measurements
>   unknown op '{'
> Taking 1 measurement(s) for a duration of 20 second(s) each.
> PowerTOP outputing using base filename powertop.html

Sorry, could you provide the resulting powertop.html file?
Comment 6 Dominik Grafenhofer 2014-05-15 10:30:58 EDT
Created attachment 895961 [details]
powertop.html

Censored version of powertop.html
Comment 8 Mario Sanchez Prada 2015-07-27 05:14:44 EDT
I can confirm this still happening in Fedora 22 with the following packages:

powertop-2.7-5.fc22.x86_64
tuned-utils-2.4.1-5.fc22.noarch
Comment 9 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-27 10:37:04 EDT
(In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #8)
> I can confirm this still happening in Fedora 22 with the following packages:
> 
> powertop-2.7-5.fc22.x86_64
> tuned-utils-2.4.1-5.fc22.noarch

Works for me, please provide output of:
# LANG=C powertop --html
Comment 10 Mario Sanchez Prada 2015-07-27 11:17:09 EDT
I can't really unplug my computer right now for a few weird reasons but here you have the output anyway, in case it's not relevant:

$ sudo LANG=C powertop --html
[sudo] password for mario: 
Loaded 230 prior measurements
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
RAPL device for cpu 0
RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
Devfreq not enabled
Preparing to take measurements
  unknown op '{'
Taking 1 measurement(s) for a duration of 20 second(s) each.
PowerTOP outputing using base filename powertop.html
To show power estimates do 127 measurement(s) connected to battery only
Comment 11 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-27 11:18:03 EDT
(In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #10)
> I can't really unplug my computer right now for a few weird reasons but here
> you have the output anyway, in case it's not relevant:
> 
> $ sudo LANG=C powertop --html
> [sudo] password for mario: 
> Loaded 230 prior measurements
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> RAPL device for cpu 0
> RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> Devfreq not enabled
> Preparing to take measurements
>   unknown op '{'
> Taking 1 measurement(s) for a duration of 20 second(s) each.
> PowerTOP outputing using base filename powertop.html
> To show power estimates do 127 measurement(s) connected to battery only

Please provide the generated HTML.
Comment 12 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-27 11:18:39 EDT
(In reply to Jaroslav Škarvada from comment #11)
> (In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #10)
> > I can't really unplug my computer right now for a few weird reasons but here
> > you have the output anyway, in case it's not relevant:
> > 
> > $ sudo LANG=C powertop --html
> > [sudo] password for mario: 
> > Loaded 230 prior measurements
> > RAPL device for cpu 0
> > RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> > RAPL device for cpu 0
> > RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> > RAPL device for cpu 0
> > RAPL Using PowerCap Sysfs : Domain Mask f
> > Devfreq not enabled
> > Preparing to take measurements
> >   unknown op '{'
> > Taking 1 measurement(s) for a duration of 20 second(s) each.
> > PowerTOP outputing using base filename powertop.html
> > To show power estimates do 127 measurement(s) connected to battery only
> 
> Please provide the generated HTML.

It should be named powertop.html.
Comment 13 Mario Sanchez Prada 2015-07-27 11:25:26 EDT
Created attachment 1056658 [details]
powertop.html
Comment 14 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-27 11:36:48 EDT
(In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #13)
> Created attachment 1056658 [details]
> powertop.html

Thanks, but I am unable to reproduce:

# powertop2tuned -i ./powertop.html powertop

This generated tuned profile from your powertop.html without problem.
Comment 15 Mario Sanchez Prada 2015-07-27 11:53:33 EDT
Oh! I was missing the -i parameter to specify the input file, can't believe that!

I've tried that now and works perfectly fine for me too, next time I should read the manpage before blindly following some comment in some forum elsewhere, sorry for the noise.

Btw, I believe this bug report is invalid then, since per the bug description I understand the reporter might actually have made the very same mistake than me:

> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Run: powertop2tuned powertop-profile

Thanks for your help, I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise :)
Comment 16 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-27 12:17:27 EDT
(In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #15)
> Oh! I was missing the -i parameter to specify the input file, can't believe
> that!
> 
> I've tried that now and works perfectly fine for me too, next time I should
> read the manpage before blindly following some comment in some forum
> elsewhere, sorry for the noise.
> 
> Btw, I believe this bug report is invalid then, since per the bug
> description I understand the reporter might actually have made the very same
> mistake than me:
> 
> > Steps to Reproduce:
> > 1. Run: powertop2tuned powertop-profile
> 
> Thanks for your help, I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise :)

Without the '-i' switch, it should automatically generate the powertop.html to temporary place and use it for input. It should be the same file. Both variants works for me.
Comment 17 Mario Sanchez Prada 2015-07-27 12:32:05 EDT
(In reply to Jaroslav Škarvada from comment #16)
> Without the '-i' switch, it should automatically generate the powertop.html
> to temporary place and use it for input. It should be the same file. Both
> variants works for me.

You're right again, I was running powertop2tuned powertop.html (after having generated powertop.html manually) which is wrong and, now I realize of it, different from the bug report.

Guess I should leave early today and get some sleep... sorry and thanks again
Comment 18 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-07-28 04:40:30 EDT
(In reply to Mario Sanchez Prada from comment #17)
> (In reply to Jaroslav Škarvada from comment #16)
> > Without the '-i' switch, it should automatically generate the powertop.html
> > to temporary place and use it for input. It should be the same file. Both
> > variants works for me.
> 
> You're right again, I was running powertop2tuned powertop.html (after having
> generated powertop.html manually) which is wrong and, now I realize of it,
> different from the bug report.
> 
> Guess I should leave early today and get some sleep... sorry and thanks again

OK, closing.
Comment 19 rfranr 2015-09-23 19:57:19 EDT
The error is reproduced in Fedora 22 with the packages: 
 
 powertop-2.7-5.fc22.x86_64
 tuned-utils-2.5.1-2.fc22


I can generate the tuned profile from the attachment from 'Mario Sanchez Prada', but not with the powertop.html generated on my system.
Comment 20 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-09-24 04:16:23 EDT
(In reply to rfranr from comment #19)
> The error is reproduced in Fedora 22 with the packages: 
>  
>  powertop-2.7-5.fc22.x86_64
>  tuned-utils-2.5.1-2.fc22
> 
> 
> I can generate the tuned profile from the attachment from 'Mario Sanchez
> Prada', but not with the powertop.html generated on my system.

Could you provide your powertop.html (that one which is failing)?
Comment 21 rfranr 2015-09-24 05:43 EDT
Created attachment 1076419 [details]
powertop.html

The html don't have the section : <h2 class="content_title"> Software Settings in Need of Tuning </h2>

I installed Powertop first . Then start the service , following the instructions of Fedora Magazine :
sudo systemctl start powertop.service

That automatically sets all parameters optimisable of " good."

Then installed powertop2tuned for first time. That is the attachemnt that don't work.

I see later that if i active some tunnable as " Bad " , then it works.

Apologize for the noise .
Comment 22 Jaroslav Škarvada 2015-09-24 06:00:10 EDT
(In reply to rfranr from comment #21)
> I see later that if i active some tunnable as " Bad " , then it works.
> 
Yeh, it generates tuning only for items that are marked as 'bad'. Also by default powertop2tuned doesn't enable the tunings (it creates tuned.conf with all tunings commented for safety). By using the -e switch the 'bad' tunings are explicitly enabled in tuned.conf:

# powertop2tuned -e MYPROFILE

Powertop.service and powertop2tuned are two different approaches to the same thing, please do not mix them together. Powertop.service enables all tunings in one shot - user has no control over the process. Powertop2tuned generates tuned profile which allows user to fine tune the settings.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.