Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 108670
prelink breaks system after its first run, causes a Nautilus SIGILL
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:58:59 EDT
Description of problem:
I did a package upgrade today, to a bunch of the most recent rawhide editions.
Everything on my system is updated to the most recent rawhide, now.
After the upgrade, when I restarted, gnome wouldn't start. It looks like
nautilus is dumping core with a SIGILL. I'll attach the core, and the output of
rpm -qa --last.
The only thing that I have in my system that's unlisted in the rpm list are the
Nvidia drivers. I removed XFree86-Mesa-libGL, but I re-installed it with
--justdb afterward for dependency reasons.
I suspect that perhaps prelink is the culprit, as my system stops working
properly usually after (and during the time that) the prelink cron script runs.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Update to latest rawhide.
2. (Probably -- run prelink cron script -- should be done automatically.)
3. Restart and attempt to log into GNOME.
Stops after it loads the Window Manager icon.
Continues to load, without a problem.
Created attachment 95619 [details]
nautilus core (bz2)
Here's the core that nautilus dumps. BTW, I'm actually writing this from the
failsafe terminal, where everything but nautilus runs okay.
Created attachment 95620 [details]
Output of rpm -qa --last
Here's the RPMs I installed recently.
Okay, I re-ran /etc/cron.daily/prelink in runlevel 3 and then went back to
runlevel 5 and everything is peachy.
So, it looks like when prelink runs that script for the first time (which I
think happens after the RPM is installed), it somehow horks the system. It's
done it to me in the past, too.
By the way, I'm not sure if I can reproduce this anymore. It's been SO
LONG... I think it may have just been a Rawhide breakage that was
Ok, let's close this and if you manage to reproduce it once again,
reopen with a tarball containing the failing binary and all libraries
Hi Guys, I installed FC3 yesterday and it then ran prelink. After
playing for a bit I ran yum update and went to bed after saying 'y' to
This morning all hell broke loose and nautilus would not start. A lot
of other things were broken as well. I traced it back to hald not
starting (failed to shutdown).
When I ran hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes it would segfault. I tried
ltrace hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes and found that it was
segfaulting in a dbus function. I then got on irc and it was suggested
I try running
This fixed hald so I then ran /etc/cron.daily/prelink.
Everything works fine now. I think this problem may have been caused
by upgrading some libs after running prelink that don't properly