Bug 110554 - Websphere Application Server 5.0 is not working on AS 3.0
Websphere Application Server 5.0 is not working on AS 3.0
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 101603
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: IBMJava2-SDK (Show other bugs)
3.0
i386 Linux
high Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Karen Bennet
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-11-20 22:34 EST by Spring Cho
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:06 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-02-21 14:00:06 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Spring Cho 2003-11-20 22:34:28 EST
From Spring Cho:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030922

Description of problem:
Hi.

I have been struggling with installing WAS 5.0 on Redhat Linux AS3.0

for a week. I read articles about incompatibility between IBM JDK

1.3.1 SR5 and Redhat AS3.0 in Redhat Bugzila, and I was experiencing

the same problem when I tried to install WAS 5.0 on AS 3.0.

I downloaded IBM JDK 1.6.1 SR6 from IBM website and I thought I 

succeed in installing WAS 5.0 on AS3.0. Installation steps looks 

fine and I see the first step applet. However, once I get out of the 

first step applet, I can't launch any WAS excution file. 

For example, all files under /opt/Websphere/AppServer/bin dont work

except serupCmdLine.sh file. The Strangist part is that all these 

shell scripts just literally hang when I run those. For instance, 

if I excute versionInfo.sh script, I see a java thread on "top"

command console and its cpu usage is around 50% and never decrease.

I dont see any error message or any warning message from either the 

console which I launch the script or log files. It seems to me that

the java thread just hangs and does something abviously, but since

I dont see any error or exception message from the thread, I have 

no idea what's going on. All other scripts are same. I tried to 

install WAS fix pack 2 cause I thought that maybe this was because

some WAS 5.0 containers are not stable, but I couldn't even launch

updateWizard.sh file in update package which I downloaded seperately

from IBM website. I get the same reaction from updateWizard.sh, which 

is no reaction.  I checked IBM JDK and java seems fine. This is such 

a headache because I dont see any error message. 

I assumed that WAS 5.0 may not work on AS3.0, but what about 

updateInstaller?  This is seperate package and if there is something 

wrong, at least I should get any message even if I dont understand

messages. Anyone secceed in installing WAS5.0 on AS3.0?

Any idea?



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
2.4.21-4.ELsmp ; J2RE 1.3.1 IBM build cxia32131-20031021

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:

1.Installed IBM JDK 1.3.1 SR6

2.Installed WAS 5.0 

3.At the end of the installation, I saw the first step applet.

4.Closed the first step applet.

5.Relaunch firstStep.sh or any files in ../bin or updateWizard.sh



Actual Results:  Jave thread just hangs. No error message, nothing
happens.

By checking "top", I see a jave thread consumes about 50% of cpu usage
constantly which never decrease until I kill the process.

I waited for more than 30 minutes and nothing happens unless I killed
the process.

Expected Results:  I should see an appropriate applet. At least, I
should see any error message if something is wrong. 

Additional info:
Comment 1 Karen Bennet 2003-11-20 22:54:25 EST
There is a known problem with WebSphere 5.0 and RHEL3 which has been
reported as bz #101603.  This problem has been resolved with WebSphere
5.1; and Red Hat / IBM are investigating possible solutions for
WebSphere 5.0.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 101603 ***
Comment 2 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-02-21 14:00:06 EST
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.