Bug 111187 - Digest::MD5 build errors from perl src.rpm
Digest::MD5 build errors from perl src.rpm
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: perl (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Warren Togami
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2003-11-29 02:47 EST by Daniel Wittenberg
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:06 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-05-30 21:57:16 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Daniel Wittenberg 2003-11-29 02:47:22 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1)
Gecko/20030225

Description of problem:
Can't rebuild perl src.rpm

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-5.8.0/ext/Devel/PPPort'
 
        Making Digest::MD5 (dynamic)
Writing Makefile for Digest::MD5
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-5.8.0/ext/Digest/MD5'
Makefile:86: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-5.8.0/ext/Digest/MD5'
make config failed, continuing anyway...
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-5.8.0/ext/Digest/MD5'
Makefile:86: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/perl-5.8.0/ext/Digest/MD5'
make: *** [lib/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.65899 (%build)


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.rpmbuild --rebuild perl*src.rpm
2.
3.
    

Additional info:
Comment 1 Daniel Wittenberg 2003-11-29 03:04:41 EST
On further examination, it seems the Makefile.PL process is building a
corrupted Makefile:
$ perl Makefile.PL
Writing Makefile for Digest::MD5

$ make
Makefile:83: *** missing separator.  Stop.

This is a section, and it happens every time you run perl Makefile.PL

installvendorlib='/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.
INSTALLVENDORLIB = ib/perl5'
installusrbinperl='def
INSTALLARCHLIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
INSTALLSITEARCH = /usr/lib
INSTALLVENDORARCH = /usr/lib/perl5/ven
INSTALLBIN = /usr/bin'
installhtml1dir=''
installhtml3dir=''
installman1
INSTALLSITEBIN = /usr
INSTALLVENDORBIN = /usr/bin'
installvendorhtml1=''
installvendorhtml3=''
installvendorlib='/u
INSTALLSCRIPT = /usr/bin
PERL_LIB = ../../../lib
PERL_ARCHLIB = ../../../lib
SITELIBEXP = '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl'
sit
SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/pe
Comment 2 Suzanne Hillman 2003-12-03 16:14:43 EST
Couple questions. Which perl source rpm are you trying to build? And
are you sure that the rpm in question is valid (for example, is the
md5sum good?)?
Comment 3 jk 2004-03-18 15:59:21 EST
Hi.  I have a freshly installed RH ES 3.0 rev1 system with the included PERL that is 
exhibiting the same behavior.

If I run 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' and 'install Digest::MD5', it downloads and installs Digest 
fine, then attempts to install Digest-MD5 2.33 and generates a corrupted Makefile (looks 
identical to the problems mentioned.)

I tried manually downloading Digest-MD5-2.33 and Digest-MD5-2.32 from CPAN and 
running 'perl Makefile.PL' on the unpacked tarballs, and  I get the same problem.

This is with the perl that is installed by default on the machine -
perl 5.8.0 w/ MAINT18379 patch, osvers=2.4.21-1.1931.2.393.entsmp, compiled 9/15/
03 10:03:52


Comment 4 Markus Benning 2004-04-15 05:48:38 EDT
I removed the Byteorder and VMX dedection and found that it works when
the Config Module isn't used.
When i uncomment the "use Config" line again the Makefile is currupt
again.
Comment 5 Markus Benning 2004-04-16 06:35:38 EDT
I tracked the Problem down to the Point that the Config hash gets
corrupted.
This doesn't happen when the order of the use Config and use MakeMaker is
swapped.

The Problems seems to be caused by some utf8 problems.
The default locale in ES3 is en_US.UTF-8.

Adding a "export LANG=C" line in the beginning of the %build section
fixed that Problem for now.

I also have Problems with the MakeMaker Version your Perl distribution
comes with.
I'll open up a seperate bugreport for that.
Comment 6 Mark Howell 2004-06-23 11:06:49 EDT
I appear to get around this bug by setting the environment variable  
LC_ALL="C" before executing any Makefile.PL scripts, and it seems to  
work around whatever bugs were manifesting.  The hint was given in  
the perl module Time-HiRes-1.59, and I'm just passing it along here:  
  
export LC_ALL="C"  
perl Makefile.PL  
  
-Mark  
Comment 7 Warren Togami 2005-05-30 21:57:16 EDT
WONTFIX in old perl, this works fine in newer perl

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.