Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 111206
XFree86 reduced resolution prob. after RHN up2date
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:59:52 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; fr-FR; rv:1.5b)
Description of problem:
I updated my system via RHN ~ 4 days ago which has been running fine
since installation 4 months ago. Today, I rebooted the system and it
now runs at a reduced resolution of 600x480. The screen acts as a
window to a larger virtual desktop having a resolution equal to the
original resolution I had be before the update.
Attempts to change the resolution using the "Display" utility under
the s"System Parameters" menu only affects the size of the virtual
desktop not the number of pixels pushed to the screen
Vide card: ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB
Pls note that up2date resulted in the updating of other packages as
well. I am assuming that it is an XFree86 problem which seems
reasonable. Regression ?
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Update system via RHN which includes recent XFree86 patches
Actual Results: System runs at reduced resolution 600x480. Increasing
resolution only increase the size of the virtual desktop.
Expected Results: System behaviour to remain unchanged after
installation of erratas via up2date
I will try to return to original rpm's for XFree86.
I will retrieve an XFree86Config file from an identical system in an
Problem was solved by downgrading back to the original RH9 XFree86
rpms scattered across the 3 shrike-i386-disc[1-3].iso CD's
Workaround ( I am no RPM expert so this may be cumbersone):
1) I brought the system down to single user mode via "shutdown now"
2) I removed all of the XFree86* rpms with the --nodeps option.
3) I gathered all of the rpms from the iso's and installed them
4) exited single user shell to return to multi user mode 5 with
Are you saying you're happy with the workaround of downgrading,
and are no longer interested in tracking the problem?
If you do still wish this problem to be tracked and investigated,
please reinstall the updated XFree86 packages, rerun the following
command: redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig
Then after reproducing the problem again that you've reported above,
attach the X server log file, config file, /var/log/messages file,
and the output of "lspci -vn" all from the running X server. I
may need you to perform additional tests, so I highly recommend
not downgrading back to the original one again in order to
minimize efforts in troubleshooting.
Created attachment 96351 [details]
gzipped tarfile of the requested files
Here's a me too. This has occurred on all of our ATI Radeon 7000 video
I've attached a gzipped tarfile of the requested files. Let me know if you
Thanks David.. I was going to honour Mike's request on the weekend. At
least we know the problem isn't an isolated fluke anymore. Mike do you
need me to upgrade again so I can send you something?
File attachments need to be web browser viewable, please reattach
the files as individual uncompressed attachments, so they can be
clicked on in mozilla and easily viewed.
Thanks in advance.
Normand) If David's problem is identical, then his files should
be sufficient for me to see the info I need, so no need for you
to upgrade again just yet. Once I have time to look at the new
attachments, and do a preliminary investigation, if I need more
info from you guys, I'll make a new request. I'll try to reproduce
before that first though.
Created attachment 96359 [details]
Created attachment 96360 [details]
Created attachment 96361 [details]
Created attachment 96362 [details]
There you go -- sorry about that.
Sorry - one more piece of info. This is only affecting our ATI
Radeon 7000 cards (we have 5 of these) -- we have at least one
other ATI Radeon (sorry, don't have the model number in front of
me) that is working just fine.
Since this bugzilla report was filed, there have been several major
updates to the X Window System, which may resolve this issue. Users
who have experienced this problem are encouraged to upgrade to the
latest version of Fedora Core, which can be obtained from:
If this issue turns out to still be reproduceable in the latest
version of Fedora Core, please file a bug report in the X.Org
bugzilla located at http://bugs.freedesktop.org in the "xorg"
Once you've filed your bug report to X.Org, if you paste the new
bug URL here, Red Hat will continue to track the issue in the
centralized X.Org bug tracker, and will review any bug fixes that
become available for consideration in future updates.