From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.4)
Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Description of problem:
This is my complete 'smb.conf' file where the problem occurs.
workgroup = abc
netbios name = xyz
server string = Samba Server
security = SHARE
encrypt passwords = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
name resolve order = wins host
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
load printers = no
show add printer wizard = no
os level = 65
preferred master = no
local master = no
domain master = no
browse list = no
dns proxy = no
wins server = 10.10.10.200
remote announce = 10.10.10.200
remote browse sync = 10.10.10.200
socket address = 10.10.10.215
guest account = joe
create mask = 0644
hosts allow = 10.10.10. 127.
printing = lprng
short preserve case = no
mangle case = yes
comment = tmp share
path = /share/tmp
force user = joe
force group = joe
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
The samba share 'tmp' shows up just fine and any user can browse it
just fine. However some files, while they are visible, cannot be opened.
Example Using MS Office 2002 SP-2 & AutoCAD 2002
Case 1: *.doc files open perfectly.
Case 2: *.xls files don't open on the first attempt, but they do on
the second attempt. The error the program reports is the "The
'filename' could not be found".
Case 3: *.dwg files don't open at all (These are AutoCAD Drawing
Files). The error the program reports is the "The 'filename' could not
I have another identical server where the "read only = yes" line is
commented out, then everything works just fine.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Setup the samba using the above 'smb.conf' file.
What are the unix permissions and ownerships of the files that cannot
All unix file permissions are 644 and all directory permissions are
Also, all files and directories in the '/share' directory had the
following command run on them 'chown -R joe.joe', so they all below
to the guest account.
I have done some additional testing and wanted to append the
information. Even if the the share itself is not read only but there
are files/directories on that share which, for example belong to root
but still have the same unix permissions, the exact same problem still
This whole problem could be tied in with an error I am seeing
repeatedly in the 'smbd.log' file:
[2003/12/17 10:18:51, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_socket_addr(919)
getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
I mention this because the 'smbstatus' command returns the IP
addresses of the computers on the network connected to the share
rather than the NetBIOS name, which is what I typically would see.
The Samba team has already provided a solution for this problem in a
bug that submitted to them in October 2003. See the following links
for more information:
When will Red Hat incorporate this into a new samba release for RHEL?
I've put RPMs of samba-3.0.2rc1 on
http://people.redhat.com/fenlason/.samba . Can you try them and see if
they resolve your problem. Note that these are un-qa'd packages of a
release that is not intended for production use. If they solve your
problem, I will attempt to get samba-3.0.2 included in the next quarterly
update of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
I downloaded the files from your site, installed them, and it appears
to have taken care of the problem. Please note, I only installed the
"samba-common-3.0.2-0rc1.3E.i386.rpm". I ran several tests on all
types of files and there didn't appear to be any problems at all.
Thanks for your assistance.
The 11-FEB-04 build of samba made available through RedHat Network
also resolves this problem. I upgraded the following samba packages
and have not seen the problem return: