Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 11233
lpd spontaneously dies
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:55 EDT
- HP Laserjet 6MP as /dev/lp0 and filter HP Laserjet.
- /usr/sbin/lpc shows no daemon present but all else operational
- /usr/sbin/lpd will cause enqueued jobs to print normally
- re-check with /usr/sbin/lpc shows no daemon present
- tried deleting /etc/printcap and redefining after re-boot with same
- also in /var/log/messages is the following after restarting lpd:
May 4 16:42:26 hellyj-3 PAM_pwdb: (su) session closed for user root
May 4 17:17:19 hellyj-3 lpd: restarted
May 4 17:17:19 hellyj-3 lpd: printer/tcp: unknown service
May 4 17:19:01 hellyj-3 lpd: restarted
May 4 17:19:01 hellyj-3 lpd: printer/tcp: unknown service
suggesting that printer/tcp service is being sought, not found, and causing
the daemon to stop.
*** Bug 11232 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
printer should be defined as port 515 in /etc/services...
Make sure your /etc/services file contains the line
printer 515/tcp spooler