Bug 1123434 - [Doc] upgrade: service by service upgrade is missing commands for neutron
Summary: [Doc] upgrade: service by service upgrade is missing commands for neutron
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat OpenStack
Classification: Red Hat
Component: doc-Upgrade
Version: unspecified
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
high
high
Target Milestone: ---
: 5.0 (RHEL 6)
Assignee: Don Domingo
QA Contact: RHOS Documentation Team
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 1136129
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2014-07-25 15:48 UTC by Dafna Ron
Modified: 2015-03-10 03:36 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
: 1136129 (view as bug list)
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-03-10 03:36:03 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Dafna Ron 2014-07-25 15:48:34 UTC
Description of problem:

testing the service by service upgrade, neutron is missing the yum upgrade command which means that we will run the upgrade without updating the packages.

https://documentation-devel.engineering.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/5/html/Upgrade_Guide/sect-Method_-_Upgrade_Service-by-Service.html#Service_Upgrade_Order_and_Instructions

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1. install a RHOS4.0 setup
2. run the service by service upgrade
3.

Actual results:

these are the 4 commands for glance: 
# openstack-service stop glance
# yum -d1 -y upgrade \*glance\*
# openstack-db --service glance --update
# openstack-service start glance

for some reason we are missing service stop and package update commands from the neutron one. 
if a user types this as is, they will think that the upgrade was done but it will not. 

Expected results:

we need to add the 4 commands: 
# openstack-service stop neutron
# yum -d1 -y upgrade \*neutron\*
# openstack-db --service neutron --update
# openstack-service start neutron


Additional info:

> root@gizmo ~]# openstack-db --service neutron --update
> No handlers could be found for logger "neutron.common.legacy"
> INFO  [alembic.migration] Context impl MySQLImpl.
> INFO  [alembic.migration] Will assume non-transactional DDL.
> No handlers could be found for logger "neutron.common.legacy"
> INFO  [alembic.migration] Context impl MySQLImpl.
> INFO  [alembic.migration] Will assume non-transactional DDL.
> Complete!
>
it appears that the migration was not completed as reported... I will
try to reproduce this but it seems that we did not upgrade neutron
when
I fist ran the upgrade command even though we reported it complete.


[root@gizmo ~]# python -m neutron.db.migration.migrate_to_ml2
openvswitch mysql://neutron:899dcc312fdf4773@10.35.117.18/ovs_neutron
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/runpy.py", line 122, in
_run_module_as_main
      "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
    File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/runpy.py", line 34, in _run_code
      exec code in run_globals
    File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neutron/db/migration/migrate_to_ml2.py",


line 462, in <module>
      main()
    File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neutron/db/migration/migrate_to_ml2.py",


line 458, in main
      args.vxlan_udp_port)
    File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neutron/db/migration/migrate_to_ml2.py",


line 131, in __call__
      check_db_schema_version(engine, metadata)
    File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/neutron/db/migration/migrate_to_ml2.py",


line 98, in check_db_schema_version
      'supported': ', '.join(SUPPORTED_SCHEMA_VERSIONS)}
SystemError: Unsupported database schema havana. Please migrate your
database to one of following versions: icehouse
[root@gizmo ~]# openstack-db --service neutron --update
No handlers could be found for logger "neutron.common.legacy"
INFO  [alembic.migration] Context impl MySQLImpl.
INFO  [alembic.migration] Will assume non-transactional DDL.
No handlers could be found for logger "neutron.common.legacy"
INFO  [alembic.migration] Context impl MySQLImpl.
INFO  [alembic.migration] Will assume non-transactional DDL.
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade havana -> e197124d4b9
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade e197124d4b9 -> 1fcfc149aca4
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 1fcfc149aca4 -> 50e86cb2637a
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 50e86cb2637a -> ed93525fd003
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade ed93525fd003 -> 8f682276ee4
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 8f682276ee4 -> 1421183d533f
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 1421183d533f -> 3d3cb89d84ee
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 3d3cb89d84ee -> 4ca36cfc898c
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 4ca36cfc898c -> 27cc183af192
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 27cc183af192 -> 50d5ba354c23
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 50d5ba354c23 -> 157a5d299379
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 157a5d299379 -> 3d2585038b95
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 3d2585038b95 -> abc88c33f74f
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade abc88c33f74f -> 1b2580001654
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 1b2580001654 -> e766b19a3bb
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade e766b19a3bb -> f44ab9871cd6
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade f44ab9871cd6 -> 2eeaf963a447
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 2eeaf963a447 -> fcac4c42e2cc
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade fcac4c42e2cc -> 492a106273f8
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 492a106273f8 -> 24c7ea5160d7
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 24c7ea5160d7 -> 81c553f3776c
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 81c553f3776c -> 117643811bca
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 117643811bca -> 19180cf98af6
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 19180cf98af6 -> 33dd0a9fa487
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 33dd0a9fa487 -> 2447ad0e9585
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 2447ad0e9585 -> 538732fa21e1
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 538732fa21e1 -> 5ac1c354a051
INFO  [alembic.migration] Running upgrade 5ac1c354a051 -> icehouse
Complete!
[root@gizmo ~]# python -m neutron.db.migration.migrate_to_ml2
openvswitch mysql://neutron:899dcc312fdf4773@10.35.117.18/ovs_neutron
[root@gizmo ~]#

Comment 1 Summer Long 2014-07-27 23:05:00 UTC
Assigning to Martin Lopes, who is the designated author for OpenStack Networking.

Comment 2 Don Domingo 2014-07-28 00:25:43 UTC
This is an upgrade documentation item; I'll take it.

Comment 4 Dafna Ron 2014-07-28 12:49:34 UTC
I think that there is still a problem with the networking update section. 

You say 

On your OpenStack Networking (now neutron) host, run: 

# yum -d1 -y upgrade \*neutron\*
# openstack-db --service neutron --update

On your OpenStack Networking host and Compute nodes, run: 

# openstack-service start neutron

however... 

1. we did not stop the service on the compute nodes. running service start when its already started will do nothing
2. I think that upgrading the computes after we upgrade the db might be problematic and perhaps we should treat neutron upgrade like we do the nova one. 

adding Nir.

Comment 9 Dafna Ron 2014-08-27 09:08:30 UTC
Looks good to me. 
thanks Don.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.