Description of problem:
We discovered that the installation of RHEL 6.6 is not possible on a Hyper-V Generation 2 VM.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Windows Server 2012R2 with Hyper-V
Steps to Reproduce:
1. create in Hyper-V a Gen2 VM
2. from the VM settings window, go to the Firmware menu and un-check 'Enable Secure boot'.
3. Start the VM with the RHEL 6.6 ISO attached.
4. The screen will remain blank.
Screen remains blank, the VM will not boot from the ISO.
If step 2 is skipped (VM Secure boot enabled by default), the VM will fail to find the DVD boot device.
Installation process should start.
Created attachment 922238 [details]
Console view when Secure boot is disabled for the VM
Can you try it with the latest snapshot? There were some issues which are already fixed.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1127364 ***
Can you please grant us access to the mentioned duplicate bug 1127364 ? Please add all the 3 recipients from this bug.
Just for the record we've tried to install Beta1 on a Gen2 VM and it's still not working, so we need to follow-up this through.
I can't access bug 1127364 either... :-(
Please grant me the permission too.
Great! I can access bug 1127364 now.
(In reply to Jan Grulich from comment #4)
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1127364 ***
Hi Jan or Chris,
Is is possible for you to help to verify the bug with the "Latest nightly build of RHEL 6.6 Server ISO"(see bug 1127364 for the latest build) ?
I'm not sure if the 2 bugs are the exactly same since this bug happens to a hyperv guest, and the other bug happens on some native platform?
Should I reopen the bug?
Looks I don't have the permission to reopen the bug. :-(
Can Jan Grulich please reopen the bug?
I think we need to re-test this bug using the latest RHEL6.6 beta build with "grub-0.97-98 or newer".
We can't assume this bug is exactly the same as bug 1127364 because the occurring platforms of the 2 bugs are different.
Who could help verify this bug with latest RHEL 6.6 beta version?
Hi Kylie and Dexuan,
We have tried to install a Generation 2 VM with latest RHEL6.6 build on Hyper-V 2012 R2 host. There are still some issues filed as below, but it seems not the same as this bug.
1. Bug 1132770 - [Hyper-V][ESX][RHEL6.6]UEFI install using ISO can not continue on "Disk Found" page. ISO media could loaded, but not a blank screen, from which I believe this bug should be resolved.
2. Bug 1135951 - [Hyper-V][RHEL6.6] Guest startup panic after complete install Gen2 VM. We could manage to install a Gen2 VM by PXE or serial connect, but system would kernel panic after boot up.
So I suggest to keep this bug as closed and track Gen2 issues with the new bugs.
I agree with Yaju on Comment 11.