Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 113126
emacs can't open unicode(jp) filenames
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:35 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.1)
Description of problem:
When I try to open a file with unicode name, emacs doesn't open the
file (presents me with a blank buffer) and has a escaped(and wrong)
name as the name of the buffer. I tested this as Japanese.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
0. Install with emacs and Japanese language.
1. Log in as japanese (LANG=ja_JP.UTF8).
2. open a terminal
3. create a unicode filename (echo hi > ï¿½ï¿½test) (shift-space s u enter
shift-space for the magic char)
4. open it with "emacs ï¿½ï¿½test"
5. Note the filename in emacs is "a\201\231test" and doesn't have "hi"
6. Go to File->open file and open enter the filename.
7. Note the filename is correct and the contents are correct.
I also tried this with vim and gedit to make sure it wasn't something
more fundimental, but it looks like emacs just isn't parsing command
lines with i18n in mind.
Probably a good idea to ask the Emacs developers about this.
Reproduced with cvs emacs too fwiw.
Seems to be fixed in cvs emacs as of July anyway.