Bug 114572 - Prelink crashes on mikmod
Prelink crashes on mikmod
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: prelink (Show other bugs)
1
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jakub Jelinek
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-01-29 12:31 EST by John Thacker
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-01-30 09:26:07 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
mikmod library that causes crash (287.49 KB, application/x-bzip2)
2004-01-30 09:06 EST, John Thacker
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description John Thacker 2004-01-29 12:31:37 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040115

Description of problem:
prelink-0.3.0-13 crashes when trying to prelink the library from
mikmod, /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2  It leaves behind a new file of
zero length called something like
/usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2.#prelink#.Z61w5U each day.  (The last bit
of garbage changes each time.)  This also causes error messages when
ldconfig is run, saying:

/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2.#prelink#.GKFtGR is
too small, not checked.
/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2.#prelink#.Z61w5U is
too small, not checked.

The last message in /var/log/prelink.log says:

Prelinking /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2
/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2: Symbol section index
outside of section numbers

and then it ends, presumably because prelink crashes

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
mikmod-3.1.6-23

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install mikmod and prelink
2. Set PRELINKING=yes in /etc/sysconfig/prelink
3. Wait one night for prelinking to occur
    

Actual Results:  prelink crashes, leaving behind a zero length file
/usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2.#prelink#.GKFtGr
ldconfig gives error message about these zero length files being too
small, and not being checked.
prelink doesn't prelink any libraries it would normally have gotten to
after mikmod
prelink leaves an error message in /var/log/prelink.log saying
/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2: Symbol section index
outside of section numbers

libmikmod is not prelinked, nor is anything that would have been
prelinked after libmikmod

Expected Results:  libmikmod should have been prelinked, along with
everything else.  No error messages, no spurious zero byte files.

Additional info:

Perhaps this bug should be filed under prelink instead; I don't know.
Comment 1 Jakub Jelinek 2004-01-29 13:36:35 EST
Can you reproduce it with latest rawhide prelink (0.3.0-19)?
Comment 2 Jakub Jelinek 2004-01-30 04:35:19 EST
Also, can you please attach the exact libmikmod.so.2.0.2 binary
you reproduce it on?  I certainly don't see it on my box and
have libmikmod.so.2.0.2 prelinked just fine (mikmod-3.1.6-23).
Comment 3 John Thacker 2004-01-30 09:02:35 EST
Yes, reproduced with prelink-0.3.0-19.  Same error.  I'm going to try
downloading another copy of the mikmod-3.1.6-23 RPM.
Comment 4 John Thacker 2004-01-30 09:06:38 EST
Created attachment 97367 [details]
mikmod library that causes crash

Hmm.  rpm -V is giving a bad MD5 sum for this file.  Doh, should have tested
that earlier.  I'll try reinstalling the rpm, and see if that helps.

Had to compress the library, since the original file is too large for bugzilla
to attach.
Comment 5 John Thacker 2004-01-30 09:14:24 EST
Hmm.  rpm -Vp mikmod-3.1.6-23.i386.rpm gives a MD5SUM mismatch on
/usr/lib/libmikmod.so.2.0.2 for new RPMs downloaded from several
different mirrors (Duke DULUG, NCSU, GaTech.)  I can't get into
ftp.redhat.com right now, but I'll try the package from there when I
get a chance.
Comment 6 John Thacker 2004-01-30 09:26:07 EST
OK, nevermind the previous comment.  I determined that rpm -Vp must
have been checking the header for the new package agains the actually
installed file.

Looks like the library or originally installed package just got
corrupted somehow.  I removed and reinstalled a fresh copy of the
package, which fixed the problem. (Ran /etc/cron.daily/prelink with no
issues.)  Sorry for the trouble, closing the bug.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.