Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 115788
Latex2html unable to produce images
Last modified: 2015-03-04 20:13:28 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5)
Description of problem:
Using tetex-2.0.2-11 with Fedora Core 2 test 1, latex2html fails to
build images (equations) and gives errors of the form:
Error while converting image
Converting image #1350
pstoimg: Error: "/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 <
/tmp/l2h5687/p18531.pnm | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans
'#ffffff' > img1350.png" failed: Bad file descriptor
The same exact commands in a RH 9 install (w/ tetex-1.0.7-66) work
with no problems (see: mitgcm.org/pelican/). So it seems that the
newer FC2-t1 tetex package lacks the functionality of the older RH9
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. get the MITgcm LaTeX manual from: mitgcm.org
2. build it
3. watch as latex2html fails to produce images
I have perhaps the same/similar problem. While translating a latex file, which
took a very long time (unusually long!) the image creation failed by saying
that tex ran out of resources. On a 1.5GB ram system this indicates some
kind of a problem.
I'd like to clarify the problem I reported earlier. I think it has
nothing to do with memory allocation since LaTeX (from the tetex
package) has no problem producing DVI output for my LaTeX files. What
does *consistently* fail for me is all the image production within
latex2html (where most of the images are produced to represent
equations). The errors are "Bad file descriptors" as shown above.
I'm currently trying to sort out the differences between the tetex
package as shipped with RH9 and tetex in Fedora Core.
What happens if you downgrade netpbm-progs to the version from Fedora
OK, I downgraded both of the FC2 netpbm pacages to the FC1 versions:
and now the latex2html translation works just fine! Thank you!!!
So I wonder whats broken in the latest netpbm RPMs?
Interessting. I'll go and check the pipe you ran and see where and why
it exactly fails.
Read ya, Phil
PS: Reassigning to me, Tim, as this seems to be my problem. :-)
OK, found and fixed the problem. pnmquant was doing the command line
New netpbm-10.19-6 and later contain a fix. Should hit development in
the next few days.
Read ya, Phil
This still occurs with netpbm-10.19-7. Do I need the FC2 rpms?
Shoot, I was logged in elsewhere -- I was using an FC2 box with
netpbm-10.19-7 installed and the problem is there (same error message).
This still does not work after downgrading to the FC1 netpbm packages
(9.24-12). I get the same "bad file descriptor" error. The most recent
FC2 packages do not work either. I really need this to work right now!
I agree that this is a mighty annoying bug and I do wish there was a
usable latex2html in FC1 or FC2. Or even FC3! I tried digging into
latex2html code to discover why so many figures are mangled or missing
(as discussed above) but its a daunting task.
And while I'm not at all proud of this solution, I did setup a
complete RH 9 environment within an FC2 install using chroot:
and am using that as a stop-gap measure for building our
documentation. Hopefully, latex2html in FC will improve and I can
abandon this hack.
I had a similar problem.
libnetpbm.so -> libnetpbm.so.10.11
libnetpbm.so -> libnetpbm.so.10.19
Fixing this solved it. This solution might be very peculiar for my case....
Try if pnmquant works on any image.
Try also latex2html -debug or -verbosity