Bug 116050 - gdm prevents xclock to run with explicit -display parameter
gdm prevents xclock to run with explicit -display parameter
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: gdm (Show other bugs)
1
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Havoc Pennington
Mike McLean
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-02-17 16:18 EST by Philippe A
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:10 EST (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-02-18 13:47:01 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Philippe A 2004-02-17 16:18:21 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6)
Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8

Description of problem:
I am using an application that has a bit of an unusual design. It
systematically fails to start with the following error, no matter what
-display parameter I give it. Besides, I've run this app on all
versions of RedHat since 7.0 and I never had to specify the -display
parameter.

Error: Can't open display: obiwan:0.0

I eventually found I could reproduce this exact same symptom with
xclock and other standard X programs.

This may be a xdm/gdm configuration problem of some sort, in which
case I apologize for disturbing you with this and also thank you for
telling me how to resolve this. I've poked around without success so far.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
XFree86-4.3.0-42

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. init 5
2. xclock -display localhost:0



Actual Results:  xclock never opens. Shell returns message:
"Error: Can't open display: localhost:0"


Expected Results:  I see no reason why specifying the machine name as
the display parameter wouldn't work. If it wasn't of this limitation,
my app (and any other weird app) would run fine.


Additional info:

Happens on upgraded RH9 -> FC1.

Happens on fresh FC1 install.

Haven't played with my X config besides the usual XF86Config stuff. My
login manager is the default one (gdm).

Try the same xclock command in runlevel 3. It will open without a problem.
Comment 1 Philippe A 2004-02-18 11:36:03 EST
Just a quick note to let you know the culprit is really gdm. 
Comment 2 Philippe A 2004-02-18 11:39:38 EST
Just a quick note for letting you know I have confirmed gdm is the
culprit. No problem occurs when opening a session with xdm or kdm. As
a matter of fact, the exact runlevel does not matter.

I have yet to find the exact root of the problem. Since Fedora's
default login manager, I would still like to adress this issue. Asking
all my users to change their login manager isn't an option for me.
Comment 3 Philippe A 2004-02-18 13:47:01 EST
Found the solution with the help of gdm@sunsite.dk list. All I add to
do was to edit gdm.conf and add this line:

DisallowTCP=false

Case closed. You may dispose of this issue. 

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.