Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 120235
Large email attachments corrupted
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:39 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6)
Description of problem:
Large jpeg attachments are being corrupted if received using the
I can open the image but only the top 25% of the image is viewable.
I have tested by not downloading emails and opening through my ISP's
webmail(image ok) and then downloading to my pc(not ok).
My wife's pc uses Outlook and when I had it retreive email directly
from the ISP rather than an mbox account on my Linux server the images
are received ok.
Running ifconfig does not show any network issues.
I have a Motorola Surfboard cable modem to a SMC Barricade router to
my linux box.
The box has two network cards but only one is plugged in.
I am not losing any packets if I ping external or internal websites.
I don't have quotas set up on the box. I checked the hard disk for free
space and it still has 3 GB left so isn't the problem.
I switched Evolution to retreive email from the pop server directly
rather than from sendmail/mbox and the images were ok.
I also tested using Mutt and the images were corrputed as well so it
is not Evolution.
Emailed image to self using local username rather than internet email
address and the image was ok(email server and my pc are the same -
Size of file sent is 390440.
Size as received is 78181.
Top 20% of image is visible while the rest appears as just the color
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.send or have someone send the jpge attachment to you
2. view attachment in Evolution preview, inline, or save to disk
Actual Results: image corrputed
Expected Results: complete image displayed
> > /sbin/./ifconfig -a
> > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:76:CD:CE:57
> > inet addr:192.168.123.133 Bcast:192.168.123.255
> > Mask:255.255.255.0
> > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> > RX packets:547757 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:545221 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> > RX bytes:172046744 (164.0 Mb) TX bytes:74681371 (71.2 Mb)
> > Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe000
> > eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:05:C0:56
> > BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> > Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000
> > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> > RX packets:48761 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:48761 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> > RX bytes:33725362 (32.1 Mb) TX bytes:33725362 (32.1 Mb)
Created attachment 99173 [details]
Created attachment 99174 [details]
Upgraded sendmail to 8.12.11-1 using an rpm and it has made to worse.
Changing bug from Procmail to sendmail It is being sent by Mutt using
base64 encoding. When received it is now 58698KB in size. However
Mutt reports the size of the file as 77KB.
I have been trying to debug this. Attached is a verbose output from
sendmail daemon. I send out the email and receive it. Everything
seems ok until after it is received. Sendmail is using Fetchmail to
pass the email from localhost.localdomain account to my local user
The attachment was too large... See
I downloaded the src code to fetchmail 6.2.5, installed it, and it has
fixed my problem. I can now send the attachment and receive it
I changed the status to upstream. If that was not correct please
change it to what it should be. Hope this helps someone else.