Bug 120244 - gdm missing ja translations because of overwriting jp.po
Summary: gdm missing ja translations because of overwriting jp.po
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: gdm (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 3.0
Hardware: All Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Havoc Pennington
QA Contact: Mike McLean
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2004-04-07 03:36 UTC by Jens Petersen
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:07 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Fixed In Version: 2.4.1.6-5
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-04-15 12:32:50 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
revert to overwriting ja.po and fix Shutdown ja (1.50 KB, patch)
2004-04-09 14:09 UTC, Jens Petersen
no flags Details | Diff


External Trackers
Tracker ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHBA-2004:199 normal SHIPPED_LIVE Updated gdm package available with asian locale fixes 2004-05-11 04:00:00 UTC

Description Jens Petersen 2004-04-07 03:36:34 UTC
Description of problem:
This is bug 113995, which was fixed in FC1updates and Fc2devel,
but for RHEL3: basically because the spec file overwrites ja.po
with an older tweaked version various translations are missing
for ja (like "Password: ", "Shutdown", etc).

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
2.4.1.6-2

How reproducible:
every time

Steps to Reproduce:
see bug 113995.

Notes: I recommend using the FC1updates srpm as the basis for this.

Comment 2 Akira TAGOH 2004-04-09 13:23:42 UTC
I've tested gdm-2.4.1.6-4 and it looks good. Thanks.

Comment 3 Jens Petersen 2004-04-09 14:06:21 UTC
Actually it seems I was confused: for Taroon the overwriting of
the ja.po doesn't actually lose any translations or at least not
any really significant ones afaict - it was the missing "Shut_down"
that made me think there was a problem, but it turned out it is
missing upstream too.

However I noticed that the translation of "Username:" changed
to something slightly worse: so I'm sorry, but perhaps it is
better to undo the change.

I'll attach a patch for that below which should fix these problems.

Comment 4 Jens Petersen 2004-04-09 14:09:55 UTC
Created attachment 99271 [details]
revert to overwriting ja.po and fix Shutdown ja

Comment 5 Mark McLoughlin 2004-04-14 12:55:38 UTC
Jens: I should remove the perl hack now too, right?

i.e. these lines aren't relevant because gdm-ja.po has the correct
translation?

# fix the time format for ja
perl -pi -e 's|^msgstr "%a %b %d, %H:%M"|msgstr "%m/%d \(%a\)
%H:%M"|;' po/ja.po
perl -pi -e 's|^msgstr "%a %b %d, %I:%M %p"|msgstr "%m/%d \(%a\) %p
%I:%M"|' po/ja.po


Comment 6 Jens Petersen 2004-04-14 13:05:32 UTC
Yes, you're right: they won't do any harm, but might as well be
removed I suppose.  Thanks. :-)

Comment 7 Mark McLoughlin 2004-04-14 13:23:57 UTC
Okay, building this now.

I'll close this when the pkg has been moved to dist-3.0E-U2.

* Wed Apr 14 2004 Mark McLoughlin <markmc@localhost.localdomain> 
- Add back ja.po with a correct translation for "Shutdown" and remove
  the perl date format foo (bug #120244)


Comment 8 John Flanagan 2004-05-12 02:39:44 UTC
An errata has been issued which should help the problem described in this bug report. 
This report is therefore being closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files, please follow the link below. You may reopen 
this bug report if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2004-199.html



Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.