Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 120502
2.1U4 beta: Kudzu & anaconda load different ethernet drivers
Last modified: 2013-08-05 21:06:00 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;
Description of problem:
Red Hat 2.1 AS Update 4 beta re0311 loads different device drivers
for the Intel 10/100 Ethernet Server Adapter and the Intel Pro/1000
XT adapter when Kudzu is used as opposed to an OS install.
Is this expected behavior?
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install 10/100 and Pro/1000 XT adapters in valid slot on a Server
2. Install RH AS 2.1 Update 4 (Beta re0311) and allow anaconda to
configure the adapters.
4. When the OS comes up, run lsmod command; note that e1000 and
eepro100 are used.
5. Turn machine off and remove adapters.
6. Install OS and shutdown after install.
7. Install the same 10/100 and Pro/1000 XT adapters
8. Use Kudzu to configure adapters.
9. Run lsmod command and note e100_2124k2 and e1000_5043k1 are used.
Actual Results: If 10/100 and Pro/1000 XT adapters are physically
installed in a server, anaconda loads the e1000 and eepro100
drivers. If the same adapters are added post-install and configured
with kudzu, the e100_2124k2 and e1000_5043k1 device drivers are
Expected Results: The same drivers would be loaded using anaconda or
e100_2124k2 and e1000_5043k1 have subsystem/subdevice IDs, eepro100
and e1000 don't.
kudzu takes the most exact match from modules.pcimap.
Created attachment 99453 [details]
lspci of x205 without any adapters installed
Created attachment 99454 [details]
lspci with adapters installed
Machine was shutdown and an Intel Pro/1000 XT adapter inserted in Slot 1, a 1
port Intel 10/100 adapter inserted in Slot 2 and a dual port Intel 10/100
adapter inserted in Slot 3. The machine was powered up and all the ports were
recognized by Kudzu and each was configured via Kudzu.
With the adapters installed, lsmod command was run which shows the
Module Size Used by Not tainted
ide-cd 35200 0 (autoclean)
cdrom 35168 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
i810_audio 26752 0 (autoclean)
ac97_codec 14816 0 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
soundcore 7364 2 (autoclean) [i810_audio]
autofs 13220 0 (autoclean) (unused)
e100_2124k2 65240 3
e1000_5043k1 60216 1
tg3 49248 0
usb-uhci 25540 0 (unused)
usbcore 65440 1 [usb-uhci]
ext3 67872 2
jbd 51560 2 [ext3]
aic7xxx 126944 3
sd_mod 13856 3
scsi_mod 123264 2 [aic7xxx sd_mod]
Tried something similar with RHAS2.1 Update4 (Gold)
1. Installed RHAS2.1 Update4 Gold code with no cards installed
2. After successful install, powered machine off
3. Inserted Pro 1000 XT and 10/100 Intel Adapapters
4. Turned machine on, ran kudzu which picked up
and configured both adapters
5. After boot finished lsmod showed eepro100
and e1000_5043k1 drivers
This can still be reproduced with RHEL 2.1 U5 Gold code.
Is this considered a bug or working as designed?
Do you need any more information to update modules.pcimap so that
kudzu will load the same driver? or are there no plans to fix this
in Update 6?
Since this issue is beyond the scope of the current support status of RHEL2.1, I
am closing it as WONTFIX.