From Bugzilla Helper:
Description of problem:
When using Realtek Chipset NIC's, RHEL kudzu seems to repeatedly try
to change the card from a [Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+] to a
[Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+] and sometimes to a [Realtek Cardbus]
whitout any real hardware changes. Its like this; I reboot, it says
one card has been removed, and another one discovered, over and over
again, every time I reboot (although I think it only happened during
cold reboots). First I thought it has the machine, but it already
happened on 7 different machines, one of it, being my personal box,
at home and having a Intel pro with no problems whatsoever. If at
kudzu, I select the [do nothing] option, the machine works fine and
so does the NIC. If I change it, I'll have to reconfigure the network
card on eth1 (before it was on eth0), then if I reboot, the card
again is rediscovered as another card, and reconfigured on eth0
again. To solve this i simply disable kudzu on boot, and the machines
work just fine. I believe its kudzu fault, but im not sure though.
Hope this description can help you pin-point the problem.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
2.(maybe) Warm reboot.
Can you attach your /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, and the output of 'kudzu
-p' from single-user mode?
Created attachment 101505 [details]
This is the hwconf from one of the machines.
Created attachment 101506 [details]
This is the "kuzdu -p" output from one of the machines.
btw, you will notice that in my hwconf file, both nics are as eth0. I
disabled kudzu and configures the cards modules myself to avoid that
problem. The second time, kudzu puts everything right, and if i
reboot, there it goes again in finding something similar to the 1st
hwconf or just switching eth0 with eth1.
This problem also happens in single nic machines, and in that case he
sometimes alternates the driver, like i said before.
Is the kudzu -p output run as root?
Yes, not even by su. I've logged myself as root.
Ok, some more info.
System installs with a single nic realtek, and boots up. kudzu says
that the a nic is gone and a new one detected (the same phisical nic).
kudzu reconfigures the new nic as eth1 (single nic system), reboot,
kudzu says again that a nic is gone and a new one detected, and
configures the nic again. After that and a huge ammount of reboots,
kudzu never retetected the nic again.
Now for the outputs.
Created attachment 101894 [details]
a lspci of the first boot
Created attachment 101895 [details]
a lspci -vvx of the first boot
Created attachment 101897 [details]
the dmesg of first boot (dmesg never changed across reboots, except cpu speed)
Created attachment 101898 [details]
hwconf of first boot (origional from install)
on first boot i havent accepted no changes from kudzu, so it is the original
hwconf from instalation.
Created attachment 101899 [details]
The kudzu -p from the first boot.
Created attachment 101900 [details]
the hwconf after 2nd boot (with changes from kudzu)
Created attachment 101901 [details]
the hwconf after 3rd boot (with changes from kudzu)
one thing strange, on first reboot , if i run kudzu manually once, and
made changes, if i run it again, it wouldn't find any changes, but
after a reboot it finds.
some more info..
I was browsing thru /usr/share/hwdata, and found that this 2 cards,
which sometimes i've seen to change between thenselfs, are one after
extracted from /usr/share/hwdata/pcitable :
0x10ec 0x8138 "8139too" "Realtek|RT8139 (B/C) Cardbus Fast
0x10ec 0x8139 "8139too" "Realtek|RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+"
extracted from /usr/share/hwdata :
8138 RT8139 (B/C) Cardbus Fast Ethernet Adapter
10ec 8138 RT8139 (B/C) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Dont know if that has something to do about it, but here it is,
Well.. Had the same problem, but with another card. This time it was a
"Via Technologies|VT6102 [Rhine II]" embebbed nic card.
And went browsing for a while, and found this 2 entries in bugzilla...
that may be related.
Please try kudzu-18.104.22.168-1, available at:
Will try it this week. I went on vacations, so sorry about the delay.
This might be similar, but I have found that with both RHEL3 and
RHEL3U3, network installing to machines that have the D-Link card with
this chipset caused Kudzu to try to "remove" and "add" the card
configuration at first boot. A "Keep Configuration" and "Ignore" kept
the card working as eth0 for me. I downloaded your kudzu-22.214.171.124-1,
placed it in the RedHat/RPMS directory, rebuilt the hdlist and
subsequent installs or reinstalls do not exhibit the card re-detection
at first boot, if this helps....
Sorry for the late reply. For me the new package also worked. if it is
ok with everyone, i will put it as ERRATA.