Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1268614
GNOME Software shows updates that dnf doesn't
Last modified: 2016-01-08 05:18:32 EST
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
Today I got a notification that Software had updates. Software says there are 34 updates.
Steps to Reproduce:
This happens every time for me *right now* but I wouldn't expect this to happen every time for every one which will make it hard to investigate.
1. Open GNOME Software.
2. GNOME Software says there are 34 updates.
3. Click the refresh button to make sure metadata is fresh. After downloading something it still says there a re 34 updates.
4. Run `sudo dnf check-update --refresh`; no updates available.
5. Run `sudo pkcon get-updates`; lists a bunch of update, presumably the OS updates + 33 updates from Software.
6. Run `sudo pkcon refresh`.
7. Software now says everything is up-to-date and `sudo pkcon get-updates` still shows the same bunch of updates.
8. Click the refresh button in Software and it will go back to saying there are 34 updates.
Software still says there are update and `dnf` still says there aren't. Software still waffles between thinking there are updates and not.
I would not expect Software to go back and forth between thinking there are updates and not. I would expect Software and dnf to show the same updates.
Created attachment 1079631 [details]
Software showing 34 updates initially
Created attachment 1079632 [details]
dnf not showing any updates
Created attachment 1079633 [details]
pkcon showing updates
Created attachment 1079634 [details]
Software showing up-to-date after running pkcon refresh
The `dnf` behavior may have been 1265336; I have dnf-1.1.2-3 at the moment. However, there would still the issue of the weird behavior between PackageKit and Software. I'm attempting a `sudo pkcon update` now. If that doesn't work I'll do `dnf reinstall dnf --allowerasing --best`. Either way I'll report back once that's done.
Software no longer shows updates after `sudo pkcon update` which means the updates made it so the bug no longer reproduces under my conditions or the bug has been fixed.
I have F23 in a VM with the same issue, I made a snapshot of it to be able to bug report if needed. Then I've run as root (via sudo -s)
dnf check-update --refresh
dnf update (no updates available, while gnome-software shows 12)
dnf install dnf --best (which updates dnf 1.1.2-2.f23 to 1.1.2-4.f23)
dnf upgrade (now it shows probably the same updates as gnome-software)
So it looks to me that dnf 1.1.2-4 (or -3) fixed it. I didn't use pkcon.