Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1269961
Modifying user details such at IPA server UI, are not immediately reflected at client login.
Last modified: 2017-04-10 07:25:03 EDT
Description of problem:
Modifying user details such as homedir, shell at IPA server UI, are not immediately reflected at client login. The details get up updated at the client system after 5 minutes approximately.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
IPA server version: 4.2.0
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Create a user at the IPA server, defined with parameters such as homedir and shell. ( In my case user=test1,shell=/bin/bash,homedir=/home/test1)
2. Click Save and verify that the user and its details are correctly populated at the IPA server UI.
3. Now login to the client system using the created user in step1 and check homedir (using pwd) and shell (using echo $0)
4. Now at the server UI, modify the shell details.(In my case shell=/bin/sh)
5. Again login to the client system using the same user account and notice the shell details.
6. After 5 mins (approximately), again login to the client machine using the same user account and notice the shell.
1. After step3, the shell homedir and shell details are correctly reflected. (In my case shell=/bin/bash,homedir=/home/test1)
2. After step5, the shell homedir and shell details are not correctly reflected. (In my case shell=/bin/bash,homedir=/home/test1)
3. After step6, the shell homedir and shell details gets updated and is correctly reflected. (In my case shell=/bin/sh,homedir=/home/test1)
After step5, the user details should be updated and reflected at the client system immediately.
As per discussion with the DEV team, this is an expected behaviour and needs to be documented.
The workaround to this would be by lowering the cache timeouts
or manually invalidate the cache at the client machine.
Nikhil reviewed the update in an email. I've implemented his feedback.
To summarize the changes: Section 10.3. Editing Users now includes this paragraph:
After you update user details in the web UI, the new values are not synchronized immediately. It might take up to approximately 5 minutes before the new values are reflected at the client system.
We've published the update. For the latest version of the guide, see https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html