Bug 1283098 - RFE: add some soft dependencies
RFE: add some soft dependencies
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: abcde (Show other bugs)
23
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Ville Skyttä
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-11-18 04:31 EST by Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
Modified: 2015-11-18 05:13 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2015-11-18 05:13:34 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski 2015-11-18 04:31:40 EST
Description of problem:
abcde should have the following additional soft requirements to provide full functionality:
Recommends: %{_bindir}/eyeD3 # or python-eyed3 (the former will survive migration to python3)
Recommends: id3v2
Recommends: normalize
Recommends: opus-tools
Recommends: speex-tools

Requires: vorbis-tools could be changed to Recommends:, too.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
abcde-2.7.1-1.fc23.noarch
Comment 1 Ville Skyttä 2015-11-18 04:54:09 EST
I don't think adding soft or hard deps on eyeD3 or id3v2 without a corresponding dep on an MP3 encoder makes sense.

And I believe encoding something to opus or speex using abcde is such a rare use case that those deps are at most Suggests, not Recommends. They actually are Suggests already.

Never tried normalize myself, but I do think that it's a rare use case as well, and it would be recommending a package not in Fedora, don't know if that's a recommended practice. Would like to see some guidelines on that first.

As the commentary in the specfile says, vorbis-tools is a hard dep because it's the default, just like cdparanoia is.

Comments?
Comment 2 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski 2015-11-18 05:13:34 EST
(In reply to Ville Skyttä from comment #1)
> I don't think adding soft or hard deps on eyeD3 or id3v2 without a
> corresponding dep on an MP3 encoder makes sense.

I see your point.

> And I believe encoding something to opus or speex using abcde is such a rare
> use case that those deps are at most Suggests, not Recommends. They actually
> are Suggests already.

Right, I haven't checked Suggests, sorry. However, I'd argue that opus is better than vorbis at low bitrates, so it might be worth adding as Recommends.

> Never tried normalize myself, but I do think that it's a rare use case as
> well, and it would be recommending a package not in Fedora, don't know if
> that's a recommended practice. Would like to see some guidelines on that
> first.

Right, I missed that it's in RPMFusion only. I do use it personally and it works quite well.

> As the commentary in the specfile says, vorbis-tools is a hard dep because
> it's the default, just like cdparanoia is.
> 
> Comments?

I guess this bug can be closed, then.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.