Bug 1283796 - [Docs] [SHE] Link for HE OVA in HE Installation guide does not work
[Docs] [SHE] Link for HE OVA in HE Installation guide does not work
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Documentation (Show other bugs)
3.6.0
Unspecified Unspecified
urgent Severity medium
: ovirt-3.6.1
: 3.6.0
Assigned To: Julie
Andrew Burden
docs
:
: 1283090 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-11-19 17:26 EST by Marina
Modified: 2017-05-11 08:05 EDT (History)
15 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-01-03 20:17:24 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: Docs
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Marina 2015-11-19 17:26:06 EST
Link for HE OVA in HE Installation guide does not work.

The link is on this page - "Customer Portal, Download the RHEV-M Appliance":
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6-Beta/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/Configuring_Self-Hosted_Engine_on_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization_Hypervisor.html

The link for OVA that does not work:
https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-enterprise-virtualization/get-started

Error:
"The page isn't redirecting properly."
Comment 2 Fabian Deutsch 2015-11-24 05:32:20 EST
(In reply to Marina from comment #0)
> Link for HE OVA in HE Installation guide does not work.
> 
> The link is on this page - "Customer Portal, Download the RHEV-M Appliance":
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/
> Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6-Beta/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/
> Configuring_Self-
> Hosted_Engine_on_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization_Hypervisor.html

This is a bug in the documentation.

In RHEV 3.6 the RHEV-M Appliance can only be retrieved through RHN, thus the customer should run:

yum install rhevm-appliance
Comment 3 Fabian Deutsch 2015-11-24 05:33:09 EST
Addition: The host needs where yum install rhevm-appliance is run, needs to be subscribed to the RHEV 3.6 agent channel
Comment 4 Marina 2015-11-24 16:13:11 EST
The link works now.
However, it brings to download page for 3.5.
Still - no idea where to download the 3.6 beta bits.

I found RHEV-H, thanks to Joey:
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/150/rhel-7-server-rhevh-beta-files__x86_64/c3de61a6-d9e2-4590-a97a-4d1187d073ce/download-item-page
Not sure if it is a valid way for the customers, but at list it is available somewhere.

Rhevm appliance is not available. It seems to be the same problem as we had before with RHEVH-7 on the manager, which is on RHEL6 family channels. Now, the host is from RHEL7 family channels and you cannot subscribe it to any RHEL6 channels, thus impossible to get the appliance.
Comment 5 Marina 2015-11-24 16:29:06 EST
Also, I think the docs should be more clear that this step of installing rhevm appliance is optional.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6-Beta/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/Installing_the_Self-Hosted_Engine.html
Comment 6 Joey Boggs 2015-11-24 18:44:47 EST
RHEV-M Appliance is available to RHEL 7 Hosts in the mgmt-agents repo

# subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-7-server-rhev-mgmt-agent-beta-rpms
Comment 7 Julie 2015-11-24 20:39:39 EST
Thanks for filing this bug. Just like to summarize a couple of the issues here:

issue 1) https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6-Beta/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/Configuring_Self-Hosted_Engine_on_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization_Hypervisor.html

Do we need to tell customers to subscribe their RHEV-H to 'rhel-7-server-rhev-mgmt-agent-beta-rpms' and then install the appliance RPM on the RHEV-H? I'm a bit confused. My understanding is to use the appliance with RHEV-H SHE, the appliance needs to be on a file server accessible via http or ftp. Fabian, could you please clarify?

issue2) How do customers get access to the RHEV-H ISO.. We've always told customers to enable 'rhel-7-server-rhevh-rpms' repo and install the 'rhev-hypervisor7' RPM. For an alternative method, download the ISO from the RHEV getting started page.
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/  -> RHEV/Download Hypervisor -> points to 6.7 ISO
https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-enterprise-virtualization/get-started -> Download the RHEV-H 7 Image (for RHEV-M 3.5) ISO. (points to 7.1)
We need clarification on this from the PM team please. (Ccing Andrew Dahms)

issue3) My understanding is that using the appliance is the way to go forward with the Manager VM installation, but I now understand that the manual VM OS installation is supported as well. We will add in the manual installation instructions in our next cycle. 

Kind regards,
Julie
Comment 8 cshao 2015-11-24 22:20:05 EST
Seem dup with bug 1283090.
Comment 9 Fabian Deutsch 2015-11-25 06:46:25 EST
*** Bug 1283090 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Marina 2015-11-25 08:52:25 EST
Julie, good points.

(In reply to Julie from comment #7)
> Thanks for filing this bug. Just like to summarize a couple of the issues
> here:
> 
> issue 1)
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/
> Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6-Beta/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/
> Configuring_Self-
> Hosted_Engine_on_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualizationhtml
> 
> Do we need to tell customers to subscribe their RHEV-H to
> 'rhel-7-server-rhev-mgmt-agent-beta-rpms' and then install the appliance RPM
> on the RHEV-H? I'm a bit confused. My understanding is to use the appliance
> with RHEV-H SHE, the appliance needs to be on a file server accessible via
> http or ftp. Fabian, could you please clarify?
You are correct, per my understanding. In case of RHEV-H, you need to have the appliance available on some file server, since you cannot run yum on RHEV-H. On another hand, when running RHEL host, yum command is reasonable.
 
> issue2) How do customers get access to the RHEV-H ISO.. We've always told
> customers to enable 'rhel-7-server-rhevh-rpms' repo and install the
> 'rhev-hypervisor7' RPM. For an alternative method, download the ISO from the
> RHEV getting started page.
> https://access.redhat.com/downloads/  -> RHEV/Download Hypervisor -> points
> to 6.7 ISO
> https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-enterprise-virtualization/get-
> started -> Download the RHEV-H 7 Image (for RHEV-M 3.5) ISO. (points to 7.1)
> We need clarification on this from the PM team please. (Ccing Andrew Dahms)
This is also correct, but the ISO is still available for download from customer portal. This case is slightly different, since this is beta version. And indeed PM team needs to answer where they want to see this image available.

> 
> issue3) My understanding is that using the appliance is the way to go
> forward with the Manager VM installation, but I now understand that the
> manual VM OS installation is supported as well. We will add in the manual
> installation instructions in our next cycle. 
Can you do manual install on RHEV-H at all??
If yes, how the instructions would be different from those for RHEL?
> 
> Kind regards,
> Julie
Comment 11 Marina 2015-11-25 10:14:38 EST
(In reply to Joey Boggs from comment #6)
> RHEV-M Appliance is available to RHEL 7 Hosts in the mgmt-agents repo
> 
> # subscription-manager repos --enable=rhel-7-server-rhev-mgmt-agent-beta-rpms

[root@rhevh-19 ~]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
repo id                                        repo name                  status
rhel-7-server-rhev-mgmt-agent-beta-rpms/x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Virtual   160
rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64              Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 9,924
repolist: 10,084
[root@rhevh-19 ~]# yum install rhevm-appliance
Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
No package rhevm-appliance available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@rhevh-19 ~]# yum search *rhevm*
Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
Warning: No matches found for: *rhevm*
No matches found
Comment 12 Julie 2015-12-01 01:41:53 EST
FYI:
The RHEV-M Virtual Appliance direct download link:
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/150/rhel-6-server-rhevm-3-beta-files__6Server__x86_64/63b1abc1-9adc-496f-9572-949607738cb8/download-item-page

and it seems the product 3.6 beta page will be updated to include the download link as well.

====================================================================
(In reply to Marina from comment #10)
>> Can you do manual install on RHEV-H at all??
>> If yes, how the instructions would be different from those for RHEL?

For RHEV-H, can also do pxe install for Manager VM. I believe instructions is the same as traditional manual installation. 

Cheers,
Julie
Comment 13 Fabian Deutsch 2015-12-04 10:43:17 EST
Marina is correct in comment 10:

- HE on RHEV-H: Download the OVA from the web portal
- HE on RHEL-H: Subscribe then install the rhevm-appliance rpm through yum
- RHEV-H ISO: Is available for download from the web portal
Comment 14 Lucy Bopf 2015-12-13 23:36:50 EST
Assigning to Julie for further review.

Julie, it looks like we've covered most of the requirements for this bug now. Can you take a look and update the bug with any further requirements?
Comment 20 Lucy Bopf 2015-12-22 21:39:45 EST
Reviewed. Discussed and implemented some minor updates with Julie. I have merged the content to master.

Updated the revision history for the 3.6-Beta Self-Hosted Engine Guide.


Moving to VERIFIED.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.