Bug 1290553 - Please revert the AJAX-y Component dropdown
Please revert the AJAX-y Component dropdown
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Product: Bugzilla
Classification: Community
Component: User Interface (Show other bugs)
4.4
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity unspecified (vote)
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: PnT DevOps Devs
tools-bugs
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-12-10 14:14 EST by Bryan Kearney
Modified: 2016-06-15 21:35 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-06-15 21:35:16 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Bryan Kearney 2015-12-10 14:14:26 EST
Once an initial set of typing is done in the component dropdown, it is difficult to get back to the list of components. I believe this Ajaxy widget is actually worse user experience than before. I would request this go back to a normal dropdown.
Comment 1 Jeff Fearn 2015-12-10 17:49:39 EST
(In reply to Bryan Kearney from comment #0)
> Once an initial set of typing is done in the component dropdown, it is
> difficult to get back to the list of components.

Hi Bryan, there isn't enough detail here for me to fully grok where this is biting you.

I'm guessing this is when the widget is in multi-select mode, like on the advanced search page or on an edit/create page for one of the products that allows multiple components on bugs?

I'm not sure how it's a problem though, if I type 'docs' I get a full list matching that, and then if I select a component via mouse or keyboard then it selects that one and leaves the drop down open so I can either select another one or just start typing again to get a different set of components. You don't need to change focus to start typing something else.

Can you give more detail as to where you are using this and how it's being difficult?

> I believe this Ajaxy widget
> is actually worse user experience than before. I would request this go back
> to a normal dropdown.

The original widget had a large impact on performance so reverting would be a major decision and have to get signed off at a high level.

The new widget is, well, pretty new, and we have been taking complaints about it seriously by addressing them directly. e.g. If you go to partner BZ and test the widget you will find it has better performance, handles tab focus/select properly, has keyboard short cuts, and a couple of other things that slip my mind ATM.

If we can get a good understanding of how this is annoying you then we will work out how to stop it from doing so.
Comment 2 Bryan Kearney 2015-12-11 12:47:41 EST
The usage I see alot is that I start to type a component name, get it wrong, and delete it out. The widget seems to store the value and then I am unable to get all the component names because the stored value is in there.

You are correct, this is in the new/edit bug mode.
Comment 3 Jeff Fearn 2015-12-13 17:09:15 EST
(In reply to Bryan Kearney from comment #2)
> The usage I see alot is that I start to type a component name, get it wrong,
> and delete it out. The widget seems to store the value and then I am unable
> to get all the component names because the stored value is in there.
> 
> You are correct, this is in the new/edit bug mode.

Hi Bryan, there was a lot of work done on the widget for the next release, can you test it on partner Bugzilla and see if those changes make it better for you?
Comment 4 Jeff Fearn 2016-01-04 00:35:52 EST
Hi Brian, these changes went live late last year, is this still an issue for you?
Comment 5 Bryan Kearney 2016-01-04 08:23:15 EST
Yes, I still see this in the satellite 6 product.
Comment 6 Jeff Fearn 2016-01-04 19:59:20 EST
Hi Brian, I can't duplicate this, this is how I tested it:

1: go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1169289
2: go to component field, hit backspace to delete component, type in 'conf', wait, see 'Configuration Management' in drop down
3: realize you did a typo, hit backspace and type in 't', to have 'cont', wait, see 3 matching components in drop down.
4: realize you don't really know what the component name is so either:

5A: type in Ctrl+Shift+A
5B: type in '..', wait, then delete '..'

6: select from full component list in drop down

Now 5B seems to suck a little since it should automatically clear the '..' IMO and just show the drop down, I could swear it used to do this, so I might make a separate bug for that.

I'm probably missing something in how you use the UI so I might need some more detailed steps on how this isn't working for you.
Comment 7 Bryan Kearney 2016-01-13 13:23:17 EST
perhaps I am being impatient. I am seeing 2-4 seconds for steps 2 and 3. I had not seen the ctrl shift A, so I can try and use that in the future.
Comment 8 Jan Pokorný 2016-01-14 08:04:19 EST
Another "regression" report, this time more material one:

1. go to
   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Errata+Tool&component=webui
2. change the component to something else and file a bug as usual
3. uncheck all the groups that can view the bug
4. submit the bug form
6. error page states that at least one such group has to be applied
7. go back in the web browser
8. select one of the groups
9. re-submit the bug
-> observe that component field is empty and the page complains about that
Comment 9 Rony Gong 2016-01-14 20:50:43 EST
(In reply to Jan Pokorný from comment #8)
> Another "regression" report, this time more material one:
> 
> 1. go to
>   
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Errata+Tool&component=webui
> 2. change the component to something else and file a bug as usual
> 3. uncheck all the groups that can view the bug
> 4. submit the bug form
> 6. error page states that at least one such group has to be applied
> 7. go back in the web browser
> 8. select one of the groups
> 9. re-submit the bug
> -> observe that component field is empty and the page complains about that

Yes, QE could reproduce this.
Comment 10 Jeff Fearn 2016-03-29 23:01:44 EDT
(In reply to Bryan Kearney from comment #7)
> perhaps I am being impatient. I am seeing 2-4 seconds for steps 2 and 3. I
> had not seen the ctrl shift A, so I can try and use that in the future.

I'm in Brisbane and those steps are sub second for me, maybe there is someway we can duplicate your network status...
Comment 11 Jeff Fearn 2016-03-29 23:03:38 EDT
(In reply to Rony Gong from comment #9)
> (In reply to Jan Pokorný from comment #8)
> > Another "regression" report, this time more material one:
> > 
> > 1. go to
> >   
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Errata+Tool&component=webui
> > 2. change the component to something else and file a bug as usual
> > 3. uncheck all the groups that can view the bug
> > 4. submit the bug form
> > 6. error page states that at least one such group has to be applied
> > 7. go back in the web browser
> > 8. select one of the groups
> > 9. re-submit the bug
> > -> observe that component field is empty and the page complains about that
> 
> Yes, QE could reproduce this.

Was there a separate bug opened for this?
Comment 12 Jan Pokorný 2016-03-30 09:11:24 EDT
re [comment 11]:
None that I am aware of.
Comment 13 Jeff Fearn 2016-06-15 21:35:16 EDT
We do not have the resources to maintain multiple UIs, where specific issues are raised we attempt to redress deficiencies.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.