Bug 1300440 - Boot accepts DHCP address but claims not to
Boot accepts DHCP address but claims not to
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: systemd (Show other bugs)
23
x86_64 Linux
unspecified Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: systemd-maint
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-01-20 15:04 EST by Dave Close
Modified: 2016-01-22 02:47 EST (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2016-01-22 02:45:56 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Dave Close 2016-01-20 15:04:34 EST
Description of problem:

I'm working with a new PXE configuration file which may certainly contain some errors. Usually, it terminates with a "pane dead". But after the latest modification, it terminated by going to the Dracut emergency shell. In itself, that might help me, even though thus far I haven't found my error in the logs. But I did find something that seems quite strange to me.

Inside the Dracut shell, I ran the journalctl command. As this was a server in a remote data center, I couldn't easily attach a thumb drive and save the result. But here are the last few lines output.

Jan 19 20:35:52 localhost dracut-initqueue[812]: Starting dhcp for interface eth0
Jan 19 20:35:52 localhost dracut-initqueue[812]: dhcp: PREINIT eth0 up
Jan 19 20:35:52 localhost dhclient[1041]: Created duid \000\001\000\001\03612\250\260\203\376\341\211.
Jan 19 20:35:52 localhost dhclient[1041]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8 (xid=0x45a50c20)
Jan 19 20:36:00 localhost dhclient[1041]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18 (xid=0x45a50c20)
Jan 19 20:36:18 localhost dhclient[1041]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8 (xid=0x45a50c20)
Jan 19 20:36:26 localhost dhclient[1041]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15 (xid=0x45a50c20)
Jan 19 20:36:41 localhost dhclient[1041]: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12 (xid=0x45a50c20)
Jan 19 20:36:53 localhost dhclient[1041]: No DHCPOFFERS received.
Jan 19 20:36:53 localhost dracut-initqueue[812]: dhcp failed
Jan 19 20:36:59 localhost kernel: random: nonblocking pool is initialized
Jan 19 20:40:01 localhost dracut-initqueue[812]: Warning: Could not boot.
Jan 19 20:40:01 localhost systemd[1]: Received SIGRTMIN+20 from PID 823 (plymouthd).
Jan 19 20:40:01 localhost dracut-initqueue[812]: Warning: /dev/root does not exist
Jan 19 20:40:01 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Dracut Emergency Shell...

Ok, so the PXE startup doesn't think it was able to get an IP address.  But when I look at the DHCP server, it did get an address! The times from journalctl are UTC and those from the DHCP log are local PST (-0800) but the times otherwise match up quite well. Here's what the DHCP log shows.

Jan 19 12:34:52 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPDISCOVER from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1
Jan 19 12:34:53 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPOFFER on 10.76.148.243 to b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1
Jan 19 12:34:57 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPREQUEST for 10.76.148.243 (10.76.140.72) from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1
Jan 19 12:34:57 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPACK on 10.76.148.243 to b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1
Jan 19 12:36:01 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPDISCOVER from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1: network 10.76.148.0/23: no free leases
Jan 19 12:36:18 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPDISCOVER from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1: network 10.76.148.0/23: no free leases
Jan 19 12:36:26 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPDISCOVER from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1: network 10.76.148.0/23: no free leases
Jan 19 12:36:42 us02linuxdhcp01p dhcpd[8500]: DHCPDISCOVER from b0:83:fe:e1:cc:89 via 10.76.148.1: network 10.76.148.0/23: no free leases

Not only was an OFFER sent in response to the first REQUEST, it appears that the OFFER was accepted by the client. Still the client sent four additional REQUESTs and didn't record the result of the acceptance. How can this be?


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): F23


How reproducible:Every time


Steps to Reproduce:Described above
Comment 1 Jan Synacek 2016-01-22 02:45:56 EST
This certainly doesn't look like a systemd problem. Looks like a configuration problem to me.

(In reply to Dave Close from comment #0)
> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): F23

Component == package. You should paste output of 'rpm -q <package>' here.

> How reproducible:Every time
> Steps to Reproduce:Described above

There is no reproducer and the logs aren't complete, I can't do anything.
Comment 2 Jan Synacek 2016-01-22 02:47:18 EST
This report looks like something that people on Fedora Users mailing list might be able to help. https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.