Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 130386
Font provides bad glyphs for Greek characters
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:47 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7)
Description of problem:
Looking a a webpage that has the character entity for the greek letter
alpha shows an incorrect character. What should look like a looped
string instead shows as an angle.
This problem occurs in mozilla, konqueror and gterm/lynx.
A bit of digging with the charmap program shows the bad glyph comes
from the Serto Kharput font.
Running 'locate Kharput' shows the file
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run "charmap".
2. Select "Greek" from the list of scripts.
3. Click once on the greek letter alpha in the character grid on the
4. Right click on the alpha to find the font used as it's glyph.
Marking the alpha font is important to do before the alpha
glyph becomes incorrect later.
5. Click on the unlabeled font pull down in the upperleft.
6. Use the up and down arrow keys to step through fonts.
7. As you change fonts, the grid of characters for a given script
should look similar.
8. Right click on any glyphs that look wrong and note the font being used.
Actual Results: Many of the greek characters look incorrect. More
like brush strokes rather than being recognizable as greek
Expected Results: All characters should look like greek.
The Syriac opentype fonts that are included with X.Org and XFree86,
are under a license which does not permit modification and
redistribution. Also, we do not have fontographers on staff.
In order for bugs in these fonts to be fixed, the copyright owner
of the fonts needs to be contacted directly and request that the
bug in the fonts be fixed and new fonts made available for X.Org
You may also want to file a bug in X.org bugzilla about this, located
at http://bugs.freedesktop.org 'xorg' component, however X.Org will
probably refer you to contact the copyright owner of the fonts also,
as they do not have the legal right to change the fonts either.
Setting status to "WONTFIX", as per above.