Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1305204
qemu-dm process crash in Fedora23 kernel-4.3.4
Last modified: 2016-09-27 04:12:23 EDT
Description of problem:
qemu-dm process crash after creating a PV/HVM guest in Fedora23(kernel-4.3.4-300.fc23.x86_64)
For HVM guest, qemu-dm process will crash in 10-30s.
For PV guest, qemu-dm process will crash in several minutes.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install a Fedora23 Server release version(kernel-4.2.3) through PXE on the host.
2. yum install kernel-4.3.4, grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
3. yum install xen, grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, reboot host. Choose "Fedora, with Xen hypervisor" kernel.
4. Boot an existed guest (hvm img).
5. ps aux|grep qemu-dm, observe the process status for about 30s.
6. ls /var/lib/systemd/coredump/ , there's a qemu-dm core file in this folder.
qemu-dm process crash in 10-30s.
qemu-dm process works well.
1. The kernel-4.2.3-300(with xen-4.5.2-7) doesn't have this issue.
2. core file: core.qemu-dm.0.14e470d3ea5f430c967921b646a0bfc4.4956.1454663225000000.xz
3. Host: ibm-x3650m3-08.lab.eng.pek2.redhat.com
Created attachment 1121562 [details]
qemu-dm core dump
*********** MASS BUG UPDATE **************
We apologize for the inconvenience. There is a large number of bugs to go through and several of them have gone stale. Due to this, we are doing a mass bug update across all of the Fedora 23 kernel bugs.
Fedora 23 has now been rebased to 4.7.4-100.fc23. Please test this kernel update (or newer) and let us know if you issue has been resolved or if it is still present with the newer kernel.
If you have moved on to Fedora 24 or 25, and are still experiencing this issue, please change the version to Fedora 24 or 25.
If you experience different issues, please open a new bug report for those.
Cannot reproduce this issue with Fedoar23 kernel-4.2.3-300 updated to 4.7.4-100.fc23.
1. Creating a guest using xl configure file with device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm", the qemu process uses "/usr/bin/qemu-system-i386". Qemu process doesn't crash.
2. Creating a guest using virsh xml file with "<emulator>/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm</emulator>", the qemu process uses qemu-dm, and qemu process doesn't crash either.
So close this bug.