Bug 138251 - RHEL U4 beta causes vncviewer to freeze, but U3 works
Summary: RHEL U4 beta causes vncviewer to freeze, but U3 works
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: metacity   
(Show other bugs)
Version: 3.0
Hardware: athlon
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Havoc Pennington
QA Contact:
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2004-11-06 07:44 UTC by Barry K. Nathan
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:07 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2004-11-10 05:23:04 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-06 07:44:10 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.3)

Description of problem:
(This bug report is probably going to be a bit vague, but I'll provide
more information in additional comments.)

I have a VNC server running Mandrake 10.0 Official, but
vnc-server-4.0-5 (from FC2 errata), installed using --nodeps. I am
able to connect to and use this server just fine from most clients,
including any RHEL 3 U3 clients. However, if I upgrade to U4 beta via
up2date, or if I perform a fresh installation of U4 beta, then the vnc
client freezes (after asking for my password but before it gets to
display stuff from the remote computer).

I'm not sure whether to file this against vnc, or against
distribution. The strange thing is, I can install the RHEL 3U4 beta
vnc and/or kernel packages on what is otherwise a 3U3 installation,
and 3U3 will keep working. Likewise, I can downgrade a 3U4 beta
installation's kernel and vnc packages to the 3U3 versions, and that
3U4 beta install will continue to fail. (If the component isn't really
vnc, then I need to figure out what the real guilty party is...)

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
redhat-release-3WS-7.3.1, vnc-4.0-0.beta4.1.4

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install (or upgrade to) RHEL 3 U4 beta.
2. Boot into the installed system, do all the firstboot stuff, and log
in graphically as a normal user.
3. In a terminal, run: "vncviewer" (or whatever the
server's address is)

Actual Results:  vnc prompts for password; upon successful password
entry, the client just freezes

Expected Results:  vnc prompts for password; upon successful password
entry, it shows a window with the screen of the other computer (this
is what happens with RHEL 3 U3)

Additional info:

Comment 1 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-06 07:54:11 UTC
If I install vnc-4.0-5 on RHEL 3 U4 beta, then even that version of
vnc freezes. I'll now try to find out what's triggering the problem.

Comment 2 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-06 16:50:32 UTC
I'm not sure what the guilty component is, but it's not glibc,
XFree86, rpm, libstdc++, or up2date. I just figured out that the
problem only happens under GNOME, not KDE or TWM. Also, once the
guilty package is installed, I have to log out and back in to make the
problem happen.

I'm still working on this, so hopefully I'll make more progress in the
next few hours.

Comment 3 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-06 17:13:17 UTC
Ok, I figured out where the breakage appears to be coming from.

Works: metacity-2.4.55-6
Breaks vncviewer: metacity-2.4.55-7.11

If I take a RHEL 3U4 beta installation and I downgrade metacity to the
3U3 version, everything works again...

BTW, here's how I found this. If I do the following:

<press Control-Alt-F1 so I have a text console>
<log in>
X :1 &
<wait for X to start, then press Control-Alt-F1 again>
export DISPLAY=:1
xterm &
twm &
<press Control-Alt-F8>

Then vncviewer works properly. If the U4 beta metacity is installed,
then the above sequence of steps, with "twm" replaced by "metacity",
results in vncviewer not working.

Comment 4 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-06 17:14:45 UTC
Also, FWIW, this is the output of vncviewer (whether it succeeds in
showing a window or simply stands there doing nothing instead).

---begin quote---
VNC viewer for X version 4.0b4 - built Sep  6 2004 13:13:55
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Sat Nov  6 09:06:09 2004
 CConn:       connected to host port 5901
 CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.8
 CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.7
Sat Nov  6 09:06:10 2004
 TXImage:     Using default colormap and visual, TrueColor, depth 16.
 CConn:       Using pixel format depth 6 (8bpp) rgb222
 CConn:       Using ZRLE encoding
 CConn:       Throughput 20243 kbit/s - changing to hextile encoding
 CConn:       Throughput 20243 kbit/s - changing to full colour
 CConn:       Using pixel format depth 16 (16bpp) little-endian rgb565
 CConn:       Using hextile encoding
---end quote---

Comment 5 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-07 10:33:42 UTC
BTW, in case it's relevant, this problem does not occur on a
2004-11-05 rawhide snapshot (i.e. metacity-2.8.6-2).

Comment 6 Havoc Pennington 2004-11-07 16:06:26 UTC
There are a couple of newer RHEL3 metacity on
ftp://people.redhat.com/hp/testing/ as well, that may be worth a shot.

Comment 7 Barry K. Nathan 2004-11-07 16:46:53 UTC
metacity-2.4.55-7.12 fixed it for me, and 2.4.55-7.14 also works
(that's what I'm running now).

Comment 8 Havoc Pennington 2004-11-08 16:39:58 UTC
Thanks, we should be in good shape then. It was the same bug I fixed
in another context.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.