Bug 138606 - autofs appending extra character when mounting SMB sharepoints
autofs appending extra character when mounting SMB sharepoints
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: autofs (Show other bugs)
3.0
All Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeffrey Moyer
Brock Organ
:
Depends On:
Blocks: 132991
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-11-10 02:14 EST by Thomas Sprinkmeier
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:07 EST (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: RHBA-2005-178
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-02-06 21:15:09 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Description of test (520 bytes, text/plain)
2005-01-16 20:51 EST, Thomas Sprinkmeier
no flags Details
autofs config file (533 bytes, text/plain)
2005-01-16 20:52 EST, Thomas Sprinkmeier
no flags Details
automount script (3.96 KB, text/plain)
2005-01-16 20:52 EST, Thomas Sprinkmeier
no flags Details
syslog (8.40 KB, text/plain)
2005-01-16 20:53 EST, Thomas Sprinkmeier
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Thomas Sprinkmeier 2004-11-10 02:14:35 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4.3)
Gecko/20040924

Description of problem:
I have an autofs script to enable mounting sharepoints on a Windows
2000 server. 

To mount the "java" sharepoint on "roach", I go to

cd ~/mnt/.automount/roach.java

for which the automount script produces
-fstype=smbfs,username=thomas.sprinkmeier/ebor,password=secret,uid=thomas.sprinkmeier
://roach/java

This used to work with autofs-3.1.7-41 (pre-upgrade) and
autofs-4.1.2-2 (FC2 system) as well as RH9, but on RH-ES3 update 3 I
get the following in /var/log/messages:

Nov 10 17:35:46 wendy automount[31674]: >> SMB connection failed
Nov 10 17:35:46 wendy automount[31674]: mount(generic): failed to
mount //roach/javaa (type smbfs) on
/home/thomas.sprinkmeier/mnt/.automount/roach.java
Nov 10 17:35:46 wendy automount[31674]: failed to mount
/home/thomas.sprinkmeier/mnt/.automount/roach.java

note the doulbe "a" in "failed to mount //roach/javaa"

As a workaround I can create a sharepoint "javaa" (double "a") on the
windows server, so SAMBA seems to be working, just being told the wrog
sharepoint name. Also, hidden sharepoints (\\roach\h$) work, it seems
sharepoints ending in non-alphanumerics aren't mangled.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
autofs-4.1.3-12

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. add
/home/thomas.sprinkmeier/mnt/.automount    
/home/thomas.sprinkmeier/bin/automount.pl       --timeout=60
to auto.master, create /home/thomas.sprinkmeier/mnt/.automount and
re-start autofs
2. create /home/thomas.sprinkmeier/bin/automount.pl, a simple stub
script that echos the line above will do:
#!/bin/sh
echo
'-fstype=smbfs,username=thomas.sprinkmeier/ebor,password=secret,uid=thomas.sprinkmeier
://roach/java'
3. ls /home/thomas.sprinkmeier/mnt/.automount/roach.java

This wil fail unless ROACH is sharing JAVAA (double "a")
    

Actual Results:  errors in /var/log/messages, see description

Expected Results:  //roach/java should be automounted and available,
as it used to be pre-upgrade to release 3

Additional info:
Comment 3 Jeffrey Moyer 2004-11-15 20:19:28 EST
Could you please add the --debug option to your auto.master for this
entry?  Also, add the following to your /etc/syslog.conf:

*.*           /var/log/debug

Then restart syslogd (or send it a HUP signal):

# killall -HUP syslogd

and restart automount

# service autofs restart

Then, reproduce the problem and send me the contents of /var/log/debug.

Thanks!
Comment 4 Thomas Sprinkmeier 2005-01-16 20:51:00 EST
Created attachment 109854 [details]
Description of test

This is a description of the tests I did.
Comment 5 Thomas Sprinkmeier 2005-01-16 20:52:09 EST
Created attachment 109855 [details]
autofs config file

added the -debug as requested
Comment 6 Thomas Sprinkmeier 2005-01-16 20:52:54 EST
Created attachment 109856 [details]
automount script
Comment 7 Thomas Sprinkmeier 2005-01-16 20:53:37 EST
Created attachment 109857 [details]
syslog
Comment 8 Jeffrey Moyer 2005-02-04 11:16:42 EST
I'm curious, does your script place a '\n' at the end of the last line of
output?  I think this would be an interim solution to your problem.

I do have a patch which should fix this.  I'll update this bug when it has been
committed.

Thanks.
Comment 9 Thomas Sprinkmeier 2005-02-06 21:15:09 EST
Great!

I added a \n to the line generated by the script, and now it works!

Thanks!
Comment 14 Dennis Gregorovic 2005-05-19 18:05:43 EDT
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2005-177.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.