Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 139380
libxml2-2.6.16-3 breaks evolution-connector
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:54 EST
Description of problem:
evolution-connector-2.0.2-1 will crash after upgrade libxml2 to
2.6.16-3. The previos version (2.6.14-2) does not adversely effect
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Setup evolution to connect to exchange
2. Upgrade libxml2, libxml2-python and libxml2-devel to 2.6.16-3
3. start evolution and attempt to connect to exchange account
Error pop-up "The Application 'exchange-exchange-storage' has quit
unexpectedly." Exchange account does not function.
No error on evolution start-up and normal access to exchange account.
Only by downgrading to previous version of libxml2 was
evolution-connector able to work again.
can you provide a stack trace to get an idea or more information
about how to reproduce this ?
I tried but was unable to reproduce this (using locally-built
libxml2-2.6.16 packages); I can still access my Exchange account.
Tom DuVally: please can you provide a stack backtrace for the
evolution-exchange-storage process when it crashes. See this page for
more information on how to do this:
I can't seem to recreate it myself. It definitely happened first time
around. I've now tried it on 2 seperate systems and can't reproduce
it. I guess you can close this one as a false alarm.
The only thing I can think of is that the first time around I may have
had setting left over from 1.4.x. I decided NOT to migrate and to
start from scratch. Maybe there was a problem there. I'm not
familiar with the gconf stuff.
okay, strange. As far as I know gconf doesn't use libxml2 as
Thanks for providing further informations, since nobody else
reported problems about it, I'm tempted to close it as an
Evolution stores XML strings into GConf for much of its configuration,
and uses libxml2 to parse/generate the XML strings from/to its
internal data structures - which is what I believe comment #4 is
I though GConf was using expat by default for parsing the XML
Yes, the standard GConf backend stores data in files in the user's home
directory in an XML representation. I don't know offhand which parser
is used for this.
This is at a different level; when values are returned from GConf into
the app, Evolution interprets some string values as miniature XML
files, and parses them accordingly, using libxml2.
(so if you look at the raw XML backend representation, you see an XML
file containing strings, which in turn are escaped XML files - ugh!)
I'm reassigning this to evolution-connector, and reopening, since I
suspect there may be a simple bug in the app.
Tom DuVally: was this bug associated with the first time you ran the
Connector after a migration between Evolution versions?
(reassigning to me)
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.
Closing per lack of response to previous request for information.
This bug was originally filed against a much earlier version of Fedora
Core, and significant changes have taken place since the last version
for which this bug is confirmed.
Note that FC3 and FC4 are supported by Fedora Legacy for security
fixes only. Please install a still supported version and retest. If
it still occurs on FC5 or FC6, please reopen and assign to the correct
version. Otherwise, if this a security issue, please change the
product to Fedora Legacy. Thanks, and we are sorry that we did not
get to this bug earlier.