Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 139943
Exchange calendar selection locks Evolution
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:55 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3)
Description of problem:
My system is a FC2->FC3 upgrade. I had been running evolution 2 from
http://petrix.se/evolution2. The packages were successfully upgraded
with the FC3 packages. After upgrade, when I select my exchange
calendar, evolution locks up hard. I have to kill evolution and
evolution-exchange-storage and restart evolution three times before it
comes back up, with my exchange calendar unchecked.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Select Calendar area.
2. Tick box next to Exchange calendar.
3. Switch to a different area i.e. mail.
Actual Results: Evolution locks up.
Expected Results: Evolution should bring up my exchange calendar.
I can confirm this behavior. Althought my evolution has been working
ok till yesterday on FC3 (don't know what broke it, messed with my
/etc/sysconfig/i18n also, but replace the old one already).
I my case if I tick box next to Exchange calendar, the evolution hangs
and even after killing and restarting it hangs, since it tries to open
Tried to fix with following devel-packages:
With these Evolution starts and works untill I tick box next to
Exchange calendar again.
but these don't allow me to log in anymore (see my comment on bug:
Created attachment 108789 [details]
9 last lines of stracing evolution when it hangs
I also made a fresh FC3 installation and tested with that (with and
without official updates), but the problem still occurs.
Since the calendar worked ok earlier, this seems quite strange...
Mail works, Global catalog works, but calendar does not.
Calendar works ok with web browser.
This issue is a showstopper for use of shared Exchange calendaring (my
primary use case for Evolution).
The symptoms reported here are very similar to the Evolution Exchange
calendar problem reported (and fixed last Friday) here:
This also sounds suspiciously close to bug 144072.
Here's the package list from one of the FC3 boxes I have which
experiences this problem:
I almost have forgotten this (since I'm using web interface with
I did some simple testing with other account (my colleague's) and it
did works fine with calendar. And I checked my exhange account and it
is ok, according to our Exchange staff... So this seems to be quite
I initially had calendaring working myself, but it eventually stopped
working as a result of the upstream bug. The web calendaring is used
by some of my colleagues, but is not a workable solution for me since
I do not use Exchange for email. To deal with the high volume of mail
I receive, I have made a sizable investment in my own mail filtering
infrastructure (SpamAssassin/procmail/postfix/fetchmail), and POP mail
from all my accounts to deal with it in one place. I have a sneaking
suspicion that the open source developers at RedHat can relate. ;-)
Just a "me too" to this bug. This seems to have come up in the last
few weeks while the Windows folks did a massive update to Active
Directory. Any ideas on how to work around this one?
Well, this patch does indeed fix this issue:
How about an updated RPM? Thanks for the help!
includes some Evolution RPMs dated Feb. 8 and 9. Those may do the
The RPMs I referenced in comment #9 have -- so far -- fixed this
problem for me. The upgrade introduced a couple of other minor UI
glitches, but removal of that showstopper bug was huge. I'd say you
can mark this bug as FIXED or RAWHIDE now. Thanks guys!
Thanks for all the comments.
Resolving as RAWHIDE since comment #10 suggests it's fixed in the
Evolution 2.1/2.2 series; this will become part of FC4
I've also done test updates of Evolution 2.0.* packages
From my reading of the upstream bug referenced in comment #4, this
should be fixed in those packages (specifically, the
Please reopen this bug if these packages don't fix the problem.