Bug 1413636 - [Docs][Admin][Upgrade] Update 'Reinstalling Hosts' and Updating Hosts procedures to reflect changes for RHVH - and Updating Hosts
Summary: [Docs][Admin][Upgrade] Update 'Reinstalling Hosts' and Updating Hosts procedu...
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Documentation
Version: 4.0.0
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Linux
urgent
high
Target Milestone: ovirt-4.1.3
: ---
Assignee: Emma Heftman
QA Contact: Megan Lewis
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2017-01-16 15:14 UTC by Nikolai Sednev
Modified: 2019-05-07 12:54 UTC (History)
11 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2017-06-25 07:28:50 UTC
oVirt Team: Docs
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Nikolai Sednev 2017-01-16 15:14:51 UTC
Description of problem:
It is not possible to install an image update on the engine and push it to hosts with NGN. Please edit the documentation forth to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413378#c9.

Customers should get updated that it is not possible any more to install on engine the NGN image and push it to hosts from it.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.

Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:

Comment 1 Lucy Bopf 2017-01-17 13:36:47 UTC
The following procedure must be updated to remove any mention of the Manager reinstalling hosts from an image, and to instead state that the 'Reinstall' button in the GUI runs the 'host deploy' (check syntax) command on both RHEL and RHVH hosts to reinstall necessary packages:

'7.5.11. Reinstalling Hosts'
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/4.0/paged/administration-guide/75-host-tasks

Comment 2 Lucy Bopf 2017-05-29 04:31:08 UTC
Assigning to Emma for review.

Comment 3 Emma Heftman 2017-05-29 11:57:32 UTC
Hi Nikolai
Is the host deploy command that you were referring to "ovirt-host-deploy"?
Thanks
Emma

Comment 4 Nikolai Sednev 2017-05-29 12:52:06 UTC
Not sure on where host-deploy was mentioned, but I was referring to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413378#c6, previously customers had to push RHEVH's ISO in to the engine using upload to the engine from CLI, but now simply subscribed hosts and engine will let direct update from RHN if allowed from the engine. No more manual image uploads available for NGN hosts.

Comment 5 Emma Heftman 2017-05-29 15:28:02 UTC
(In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #4)
> Not sure on where host-deploy was mentioned, but I was referring to
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413378#c6, previously customers
> had to push RHEVH's ISO in to the engine using upload to the engine from
> CLI, but now simply subscribed hosts and engine will let direct update from
> RHN if allowed from the engine. No more manual image uploads available for
> NGN hosts.

Thanks. Nikolay. "Host deploy" was mentioned in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413636#c1 above.

From what I understand what we need to change is simply to change the following sentence from this>

Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts from the Administration Portal. Use this procedure to reinstall RHVH from the same version of the RHVH ISO image from which it is currently installed; the procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 

to

Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts from the Administration Portal. The procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 

That is simply to remove the part about the image.  Do you agree?

Comment 6 Nikolai Sednev 2017-05-29 16:21:41 UTC
(In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #5)
> (In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #4)
> > Not sure on where host-deploy was mentioned, but I was referring to
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413378#c6, previously customers
> > had to push RHEVH's ISO in to the engine using upload to the engine from
> > CLI, but now simply subscribed hosts and engine will let direct update from
> > RHN if allowed from the engine. No more manual image uploads available for
> > NGN hosts.
> 
> Thanks. Nikolay. "Host deploy" was mentioned in
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413636#c1 above.
> 
> From what I understand what we need to change is simply to change the
> following sentence from this>
> 
> Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> hosts from the Administration Portal. Use this procedure to reinstall RHVH
> from the same version of the RHVH ISO image from which it is currently
> installed; the procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 
> 
> to
> 
> Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> hosts from the Administration Portal. The procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 
> 
> That is simply to remove the part about the image.  Do you agree?

I did mentioned something else.
I've meant that customers now with NGN won't be able to upload images to the engine and upgrade the already existing NGNs like it was with RHEVHs (the old vintage RHEVHs). The old way of upgrading existing NGNs won't work now and customers have to know that it is automatically detected by the engine and once in a while engine checks for any newer NGN version and once it detects it from RHN, it marks host with appropriate symbol and also marks that host that there is an upgrade available for it and it can be made by setting that host in to maintenance and then pressing on "Upgrade" button.

Comment 7 Emma Heftman 2017-06-01 13:33:58 UTC
(In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #6)
> (In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #5)
> > (In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #4)
> > > Not sure on where host-deploy was mentioned, but I was referring to
> > > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413378#c6, previously customers
> > > had to push RHEVH's ISO in to the engine using upload to the engine from
> > > CLI, but now simply subscribed hosts and engine will let direct update from
> > > RHN if allowed from the engine. No more manual image uploads available for
> > > NGN hosts.
> > 
> > Thanks. Nikolay. "Host deploy" was mentioned in
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413636#c1 above.
> > 
> > From what I understand what we need to change is simply to change the
> > following sentence from this>
> > 
> > Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > hosts from the Administration Portal. Use this procedure to reinstall RHVH
> > from the same version of the RHVH ISO image from which it is currently
> > installed; the procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 
> > 
> > to
> > 
> > Reinstall Red Hat Virtualization Hosts (RHVH) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > hosts from the Administration Portal. The procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red
> > Hat Enterprise Linux hosts. 
> > 
> > That is simply to remove the part about the image.  Do you agree?
> 
> I did mentioned something else.
> I've meant that customers now with NGN won't be able to upload images to the
> engine and upgrade the already existing NGNs like it was with RHEVHs (the
> old vintage RHEVHs). The old way of upgrading existing NGNs won't work now
> and customers have to know that it is automatically detected by the engine
> and once in a while engine checks for any newer NGN version and once it
> detects it from RHN, it marks host with appropriate symbol and also marks
> that host that there is an upgrade available for it and it can be made by
> setting that host in to maintenance and then pressing on "Upgrade" button.

Thanks Nikolai. After discussing this with Lucy, we believe that the documentation that you are looking for is here: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.0/html/upgrade_guide/updating_virtualization_hosts

Therefore, I will go ahead and remove the following from the Admin Guide:
"Use this procedure to reinstall RHVH from the same version of the RHVH ISO image from which it is currently installed; the procedure reinstalls VDSM on Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts."

Comment 8 Emma Heftman 2017-06-01 13:51:17 UTC
Hi Nikolai
Please approve the updated section for removing hosts:

http://file.tlv.redhat.com/~eheftman/bz1413636/html-single/#Reinstalling_Virtualization_Hosts

Comment 9 Nikolai Sednev 2017-06-04 09:46:40 UTC
(In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #8)
> Hi Nikolai
> Please approve the updated section for removing hosts:
> 
> http://file.tlv.redhat.com/~eheftman/bz1413636/html-single/
> #Reinstalling_Virtualization_Hosts

I think this is what I was asking for. I only don't fully understand from the documentation one thing. From where "upgrade manager" on the engine is taking an image? Is there an explanation that an image being taken from active RHN channel and its automatic?

Comment 10 Emma Heftman 2017-06-04 11:15:23 UTC
(In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #9)
> (In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #8)
> > Hi Nikolai
> > Please approve the updated section for removing hosts:
> > 
> > http://file.tlv.redhat.com/~eheftman/bz1413636/html-single/
> > #Reinstalling_Virtualization_Hosts
> 
> I think this is what I was asking for. I only don't fully understand from
> the documentation one thing. From where "upgrade manager" on the engine is
> taking an image? Is there an explanation that an image being taken from
> active RHN channel and its automatic?

 Nikolai
I believe that this is the documentation that you are looking for?
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.0/html-single/upgrade_guide/#Updating_Virtualization_Hosts

Comment 11 Nikolai Sednev 2017-06-04 11:54:55 UTC
(In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #10)
> (In reply to Nikolai Sednev from comment #9)
> > (In reply to Emma Heftman from comment #8)
> > > Hi Nikolai
> > > Please approve the updated section for removing hosts:
> > > 
> > > http://file.tlv.redhat.com/~eheftman/bz1413636/html-single/
> > > #Reinstalling_Virtualization_Hosts
> > 
> > I think this is what I was asking for. I only don't fully understand from
> > the documentation one thing. From where "upgrade manager" on the engine is
> > taking an image? Is there an explanation that an image being taken from
> > active RHN channel and its automatic?
> 
>  Nikolai
> I believe that this is the documentation that you are looking for?
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.0/
> html-single/upgrade_guide/#Updating_Virtualization_Hosts

I already answered in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1413636#c9 and have nothing to add.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.