Bug 1455853 - Eclipse permanently re-renders parts of its GUI, causing high CPU load
Summary: Eclipse permanently re-renders parts of its GUI, causing high CPU load
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: eclipse
Version: 26
Hardware: x86_64
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Alexander Kurtakov
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2017-05-26 10:07 UTC by Christian Stadelmann
Modified: 2017-07-29 20:44 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2017-07-29 20:44:10 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
A video showing the bug (395.15 KB, application/octet-stream)
2017-05-26 10:07 UTC, Christian Stadelmann
no flags Details

Description Christian Stadelmann 2017-05-26 10:07:54 UTC
Created attachment 1282524 [details]
A video showing the bug

Description of problem:
When running eclipse for a while, it suddently starts to re-render some tabs all the time for no reason. This causes noticable load.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
eclipse-swt-4.6.3-3.fc26.x86_64
eclipse-pydev-5.5.0-3.fc26.x86_64
gtk3-3.22.15-1.fc26.x86_64

How reproducible:
often, after Eclipse has been running and used for a while, almost always after ca. 1 hour.

Steps to Reproduce:
Unclear. Run eclipse for a while.

Actual results:
Tabs start flickering and changing its size and font face (regular vs. italic) all the time. This causes noticable CPU load and makes the whole desktop session sluggish.

Expected results:
Don't change tabs rendering.

Additional info:
This issue might be related to the eclipse-pydev plugin, which is in bad state.

Comment 1 Alexander Kurtakov 2017-05-26 10:18:49 UTC
Would you please try with fully uptodate F26? We are shipping 4.7 in F26 and I want to be sure that it's not some issue that is already fixed.

Comment 2 Alexander Kurtakov 2017-05-26 10:20:15 UTC
Ooops, sorry we haven't done that yet but it would be nice if you can try in rawhide VM. I can not reproduce it myself.

Comment 3 Christian Stadelmann 2017-05-26 11:33:20 UTC
(In reply to Alexander Kurtakov from comment #1)
> Would you please try with fully uptodate F26? We are shipping 4.7 in F26 and
> I want to be sure that it's not some issue that is already fixed.

My F26 is fully updated.

(In reply to Alexander Kurtakov from comment #2)
> Ooops, sorry we haven't done that yet but it would be nice if you can try in
> rawhide VM. I can not reproduce it myself.

I can't do that now, will take a few days until I can test on rawhide VM. Would Oxygen M7 from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index-developer.php be enough to test? That's way easier for me than setting up a VM and putting all my potentially relevant stuff in there.

Comment 4 Alexander Kurtakov 2017-05-26 11:42:18 UTC
(In reply to Christian Stadelmann from comment #3)
> (In reply to Alexander Kurtakov from comment #1)
> > Would you please try with fully uptodate F26? We are shipping 4.7 in F26 and
> > I want to be sure that it's not some issue that is already fixed.
> 
> My F26 is fully updated.
> 
> (In reply to Alexander Kurtakov from comment #2)
> > Ooops, sorry we haven't done that yet but it would be nice if you can try in
> > rawhide VM. I can not reproduce it myself.
> 
> I can't do that now, will take a few days until I can test on rawhide VM.
> Would Oxygen M7 from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index-developer.php
> be enough to test? That's way easier for me than setting up a VM and putting
> all my potentially relevant stuff in there.

Yes, it should be better than 4.6 although you might decide to go to RC1 directly (due today).

Comment 5 Christian Stadelmann 2017-05-28 21:39:54 UTC
Hm, on 4.7 RC1 I cannot reproduce this exact bug any more. The GUI still feels sluggish though.

Comment 6 Christian Stadelmann 2017-06-01 17:56:26 UTC
(In reply to Christian Stadelmann from comment #5)
> Hm, on 4.7 RC1 I cannot reproduce this exact bug any more. The GUI still
> feels sluggish though.

I was wrong. After some time of usage, I can reproduce this bug with 4.7 RC1 too. It is less problematic (yet), but that might change over time.

Comment 7 Christian Stadelmann 2017-07-02 08:42:28 UTC
Is there any plan to get Eclipse 4.7 into Fedora 26 repos after the final release?

Comment 8 Mat Booth 2017-07-04 12:43:35 UTC
(In reply to Christian Stadelmann from comment #7)
> Is there any plan to get Eclipse 4.7 into Fedora 26 repos after the final
> release?

Yes, that is the plan :-)

Comment 9 Mat Booth 2017-07-26 12:09:49 UTC
Hi Christian,

Now that Eclipse 4.7 Oxygen is available in F26, does this alleviate your problem at all?

Comment 10 Christian Stadelmann 2017-07-29 20:44:10 UTC
(In reply to Mat Booth from comment #9)
> Hi Christian,
> 
> Now that Eclipse 4.7 Oxygen is available in F26, does this alleviate your
> problem at all?

No, I have not seen this bug any more. Thanks!


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.