Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1459500
GNOME Shell Top Bar - keyboard navigation does not work properly
Last modified: 2017-09-21 08:13:40 EDT
Description of problem:
Say I want to enter that top-right system menu to do something with it - but I want to use keyboard only. I can use multiple shortcuts to get there, but I can't actually use it:
- Ctrl+Alt+Tab and Shift+Tab (or 3xTab) - can't even open the menu (tried down arrow, enter, space etc.)
- Super+F10 and 2xRight Arrow - menu is opened, but i can't use it (tried down arrow, enter, space, etc.) - nothing gets highlighted and looks like it's inactive to all my inputs.
- Super+V / Super+M and Right Arrow - same as the first example.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
GNOME Shell 3.22.3
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Via Keyboard and one of many available shortcuts, select top-right system menu
2. Navigate using keyboard arrow keys and open any menu option
Menu stays inactive to keyboard navigation
Using menu like before, with arrows to select and enter to open menu entry
Before reporting this, I've disabled all extensions.
(In reply to Paweł from comment #0)
> - Ctrl+Alt+Tab and Shift+Tab (or 3xTab) - can't even open the menu (tried
> down arrow, enter, space etc.)
All three are expected to work, and do work on my system. Do you see any gnome-shell warnings in the journal?
> Additional info:
> Before reporting this, I've disabled all extensions.
Did you restart your session after disabling the extensions? If an extension has a bug, it's entirely possible that it doesn't properly disable itself when asked ...
Yes I did restart after disabling extensions.
It looks like there are no gnome-shell warnings, but I'm not sure how to check logs precisely for gnome-shell unit. I couldn't find 'gnome-shell' or 'shell' unit to look for, like this: 'journalctl -b -u <unit>'.
So I did 'journalctl -b | grep gnome-shell' and found no warnings. I've attached the output.
Created attachment 1287004 [details]
log for gnome shell
Hi, I can't reproduce this bug anymore on F25, up to date. Maybe after some updates it 'fixed itself' or just stopped occuring for me. Shortcuts work ok, and I can navigate menus.
So I guess we can close this bug report for now, thanks for your time :)