Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1462759
[RFE] Reduce upcalls to to subscription-manager/release with full_refresh_on_yum
Last modified: 2018-04-11 17:04:17 EDT
1. Proposed title of this feature request
Allow "full_refresh_on_yum = 0" in /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf to disable calls by rhsmcertd to https://<satellite>/rhsm/consumers/<UUID>/release
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
The subscription-manager plugin for yum mostly obeys an option in /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf called "full_refresh_on_yum". When disabled (i.e. = 0), this will keep the yum plugin from doing a full refresh.
However, yum calls are still reaching out to the satellite to hit the /rhsm/consumers/<UUID>/release every time yum is executed.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Due to the number of clients in the Satellite 6.x environment, every regular call to the satellite can add up to significant load. This is an attempt to be able to more strictly control the number of calls made to the Satellite.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
Disable the calls to https://<subscription-manager-app>/rshm/consumers/UUID/release in the subscription-manager plugin when full_refresh_on_yum = 0 in /etc/rshm/rhsm.conf
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
a.) set "full_refresh_on_yum = 0" in /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf on a client.
b.) tail satellite's /var/log/httpd/foreman-ssl_access_ssl.log
c.) run a "yum list"
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target (i.e. RHEL5, RHEL6)?
None specified, but as soon as possible within appropriate severity timelines would be appreciated.
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?