Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1464465
[Container-DOC]:- Need proper steps in the doc for manually upgrading the container images
Last modified: 2017-06-29 15:01:08 EDT
Description of problem:
By following the doc https://access.redhat.com/articles/2789521 to upgrade from container 2.3GA to 2.3Async cvv I am not able to upgrade successfully.
Need proper doc steps
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.created a 2.3 GA container setup using ceph-ansible method.
2.Now trying to upgrade to 2.3Async CVV by following the doc https://access.redhat.com/articles/2789521
3. Few steps are not working as per the doc.
1. Step 1 and subsection "a" from the doc works fine, I am able to stop mons , osds using systemctl.
2. Step 2 also worked fine for me and I was able to pull latest ceph container image
3. I followed Step3 which says "If you are upgrading to a new major version of the container image:" though I am not doing manjor version upgrades, because there was no other way to tell docker about the latest container image version.
In this step a subsection "a)" clearly says that "if the cluster was deployed by ceph-ansible edit the /usr/share/ceph-osd-run.sh " ===> this is fine for osds
But it doesn't talk anything about what should be changed for MONs?? ==> so needs a doc update here.
As a workaround for this step(This step is actually for manually installed cluster according to doc) I edited /firstname.lastname@example.org file and changed the version of the container image to the latest.
performed 3b) systemctl daemon-reload
4) followed 4a) systemctl start email@example.com but it started with old container image but rebooting the host solved the problem(not sure what's the issue)
Also Needs seperate section for ceph-rgw and ceph-mds daemon's upgrade procedures which is not present in the doc.
I tried to update bot RGW and MDS
1. systemctl stop [RGW] or [MDS]
2. pull the new image
3. update the tag in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ceph-mds@host or ceph-rgw@host .
4. systemctl start [RGW] or [MDS]
I just logged into magna053, stop the monitor:
systemctl stop firstname.lastname@example.org
Edited /email@example.com and changed the image with 2.3-1 instead of 2.3-2.
Then I did: systemctl daemon-reload
Started the mon again:
systemctl start firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see, this works as expected:
[root@magna053 ~]# docker inspect 39b4a4f3bb04 | grep Image
[root@magna053 ~]# systemctl stop email@example.com
[root@magna053 ~]# vim /firstname.lastname@example.org
[root@magna053 ~]# systemctl daemon-reload
[root@magna053 ~]# systemctl start email@example.com
[root@magna053 ~]# docker ps
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
6c1e0dd49eec brew-pulp-docker01.web.prod.ext.phx2.redhat.com:8888/rhceph:2.3-1 "/entrypoint.sh" 2 seconds ago Up Less than a second ceph-mon-magna053
[root@magna053 ~]# docker inspect 6c1e0dd49eec | grep Image
We must have missed something.
Erin, the procedure rgw and mds is identical, only the systemd unit file are different.
For a rgw it's ceph-rgw@<hostname>.service and mds it's ceph-mds@<hostname>.service
The path in /etc/ is the same, just the name changes.
It's all good Erin, thanks!
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.