Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 1468758
[RFE] Allow the host name field to be free text, pass it to RHV
Last modified: 2018-01-04 01:56:04 EST
1. Proposed title of this feature request
Allow the Name field on hosts to be set by the user to something other than the fqdn, and pass this Name to RHV when creating new hosts on RHV compute resources.
2. Who is the customer behind the request?
This information will be provided as a private comment.
3. What is the nature and description of the request?
When provisioning new hosts from Satellite to a RHV compute resource, the host fqdn is automatically used for the host name, so the RHV guest is named name-domain-tld or name.domain.tld. Customer would like to set other names to new hosts such as e.g. "webserver01" or "qa_ocpmaster" when creating new hosts on Satellite, and to have Satellite pass this name to RHV for the creation of RHV guest names.
4. Why does the customer need this? (List the business requirements here)
Customer's auditing software queries RHV guest names to run its audits, and checks those names against a database that has short names only.
The RHV guest name is derived from the host name Satellite gives it.
Satellite will always name new hosts with their fqdn.
RHV agent is able to provide short names, but not all RHV guests will have RHV agent installed on this customer's infrastructure.
5. How would the customer like to achieve this? (List the functional requirements here)
On the webUI, clicking Hosts > New Host would allow the user to set the new host name unrelated to their fqdn. This new host name would be passed to RHV so the RHV guest name would be exactly the same as its Satellite name, i.e. a short name.
6. For each functional requirement listed, specify how Red Hat and the customer can test to confirm the requirement is successfully implemented.
Customer has a RHV and Satellite sandbox environment where they can test this feature.
7. Is there already an existing RFE upstream or in Red Hat Bugzilla?
8. Does the customer have any specific timeline dependencies and which release would they like to target?
Customer is checking with the auditing team whether their software may extract the shortname from the host's fqdn so it will run on those hosts.
9. Is the sales team involved in this request and do they have any additional input?
10. List any affected packages or components.
Katello, RHV integration, all components that use the host name as fqdn.
11. Would the customer be able to assist in testing this functionality if implemented?